cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vSANs - per FI domain or Storage Array

Terry MacDougal
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering what others have been doing over the years when implementing multiple FI domains into a storage fabric (MDS) and the vSAN management. You really have 2 options:
Option 1 --> Each FI Domain has a distinct vSAN and the MDS to storage array front end ports are vsan trunked on the MDS so all the FI domains have access to the storage ports using different boot policies as to cycle through the ports and spread the IO load.
Option 2 --> Each FI Domain has the same vSAN per vNIC and the MDS to Storage array front end ports have dedicated vSANs assigned. So if I introduce another storage array into the SAN I would assign another vSAN to this new new array that would also require adding new FI uplinks with this new vSAN as we can't trunk vSANs on the FI.

I have always used Option 1 and it has worked like a charm.

1 Reply 1

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's not enabled by default, but you can trunk vsans on the UCSM.

Depending on utilization of FI uplinks, you could choose to add more uplinks and add to the trunk group (hopefully setup as FC port-channel with MDS) or have a couple of FC port-channels to keep the vsan traffic separate.

Thanks,

Kirk...

enableucsmsantrunking.JPG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card