cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will UCS Manager be dumping Java?

dorgillmstates
Level 1
Level 1

Had quite an embarassing moment installing a UCS seed unit in a HUGE Dell shop this week. The potential customer is hardcore Dell and honestly, wasn't that interested in UCS. After showing them the hardware, service profiles, etc, their excitement rose.. until we tried to log in. On two different Windows boxes and one Macbook, Java threw a ton of errors on login and KVM launch. Everyone's answer "Downgrade Java" -- Unacceptable when a customer has to have the latest version of Java to run several other apps. After many workarounds and a lot of eyerolling by the customer, we got in on the Windows box but never on the Mac side.

I understand using Java for cross platform connectivity but several embarssing issues later, something's got to give..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The obvious answer is HTML5.  See CSCul66288 for example, internally the decision hasn't been made as of yet.  The decision is expected to be made in the January 2014 timeframe as to the direction but even that decision could be pushed out.

Mike

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dustin,

I saw some discussions around this popping up frequently internally. The short answer is "not for the time being" or at least that I'm aware.

Maybe somebody from business unit monitoring the forums could pitch in.

If not java, then what? It needs to be something universally supported and platform independant ... flash maybe?

Flash has it's uses, but I think it would not really work as well as java for so big of an application.

HTML5 maybe? That would be an interesting choice, but older browsers/systems do not support it.

As it is I think java hits a sweet spot of functionality/interoperability/speed. Granted it's a nightmare recently with different versions breaking connectivity to UCS M.

Reallistically, I hope we can do a better job testing/advising interoperability with java rather than moving away from it.

M.

The obvious answer is HTML5.  See CSCul66288 for example, internally the decision hasn't been made as of yet.  The decision is expected to be made in the January 2014 timeframe as to the direction but even that decision could be pushed out.

Mike

I understand there is no easy answer or quick answer but this is not the first or second time these updates have burnt as pushing the UCS product. The actual hardware and functionality is rock solid but getting into UCS Manager has always been hit or miss. I think it's an important enough issue to address as UCS continues its increase in market share.

Thanks for your feedback and insight. I'll follow this thread for a few months to see if anything materializes.

Note that UCS manager is not the Java GUI that we see. UCS manager is DME,MIT and XML. Using java program to interface with UCS manager made sense to Cisco. If customer do not like to they can build customer application. API is open to all UCS customer. What challenge is most of customer has standardize their operational procedure based on this Java GUI and no one has time and resources to build customer application. So this Java GUI has became more critical to most of us.

Krun,

I understand there are underlying components but as I mentioned before, if KVM and UCS Manager are constantly having issues with Java updates, it's worth looking at another platform. I am fine with dealing with it on a technical level but some customers and potential customers are not willing to play the Java update game.

I agree 100% with Dustin. I need one version of Java to connect to CIMC on UCSe box and another for UCS manager.  It's really a pain. Cisco doesn't seem to care as much about operational issues vs sales anymore, however...once it's sold it's the VAR / customers problem

I know it's easier said than done to just "dump Java" but I am with another very large customer today who is expressing the same frustration amongst their admins. I just hope that something can be done because its becoming a bigger issue as other large and popular apps REQUIRE the latest version of Java but UCS no longer works with it. Just giving some feedback here.

Dump Java please.  HTML5 would be a much better solution.  Like most other vendors are doing with their interfaces.  Java constantly has security issues, so downgrading java is not always an option depending on the company you work for.  I had to keep a separate terminal server with an older version of java when I needed to run the interface.  Thank god for PowerTool.

shetty.sudeep06
Level 1
Level 1

What is the firmware version of UCS manager and Server firmware? Most of the java related errors are resolved in release 2.2 series and above.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: