Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP distributed - standalone modes in IOS XR

santoshdpawar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have been seeing BGP standalone/ distributed mode in show bgp ipv4 unicast sum command. Would like to know if there is any document which describes the concept or could someone please explain the same.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Santosh

2 Replies 2

santoshdpawar
Level 1
Level 1

Guys anyone ?

Kenneth Sharp
Level 1
Level 1

I know it's two years after you asked the question, but I wanted to answer this for anyone else who comes across this, because I had the same question, and I believe I found the answer is here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/xr12000/software/xr12k_r4-1/routing/configuration/guide/routing_cg41xr12k_chapter1.html

The two modes are Distributed and Standalone.  

Distributed BGP splits BGP functionality into three process types:

- BGP process manager—Responsible for verifying configuration changes and for calculating and publishing the distribution of neighbors among BGP speaker processes.

- bRIB process—Responsible for performing the best-path calculation of routes

- BGP speaker process—Responsible for handling all BGP connections to peers. 

"Distributed BGP also allows more CPU capacity for receiving, computing, and sending BGP routing updates. When in distributed BGP mode, you can control the number of distributed speakers that are enabled, as well as which neighbors are assigned to each speaker. If no distributed speakers are enabled, BGP operates in standalone mode. If at least one distributed speaker is enabled, BGP operates in distributed mode."

The following command is used to switch from standalone to distributed mode:

clear bgp current-mode 

Example:
RP/0/0/CPU0:router# clear bgp current-mode

Switches from standalone mode to distributed mode.

I hope this answer helps you or anyone else looking for this information.

- Ken

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: