cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a phone

DaveOb1964
Level 1
Level 1

We are just a very small business with a Cisco spa504g phone out the front and I now want to add a second (and maybe a third or a walkaround)  so we can transfer calls etc. I just want to know

• Do i buy the same model for out the second, or just a simpler model?
  • How do i connect it? Ethernet cable back to the router or to the existing phone. Or wireless??

Sorry I just cannot find the answers to this easily and I tried contacting Telstra who supplied the system with our current plan.

1 Reply 1

Milan Milanov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recommend you to buy the same model, because this way you can resolve possible negotiation issues, but of course you can buy any other SPA model.

To connect the phones, you will need SIP accounts for each of  them, so they can register and make inbound/outbound calls and, yes, you connect them to a router or a switch (e.g. where your current SPA504G phone is connected).

If Telstra is your current phone service provider, keep in mind that your phones might be provisioned and you will need to ask them how to extend your service to more than one device (additional settings or setup might be needed from the Telstra side).

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards,

Milan Milanov