cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't connect CCA to UC520

andrewmchandler
Level 1
Level 1

My office purchased a UC520 with five 7931's from a dental office going out of business and wants to implement the system.  We called a local Cisco reseller and they want more to help program than we paid for the equipment.  All new wiring is in place and the phones come up with configuration from the dental office, however that won't do us any good.  When I plug a computer running CCA into one of the ports I pull at 169.254.132.20 address.  Attempting to use the default UC address of 192.168.10.1 obviously didn't discover any devices.  Any advice is appreciated.

7 Replies 7

mcasimirc63
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Drew,

A 169.254 is an automatically assigned private IP address, when there is no DHCP found.  I'm guessing that the previous owners turned off DHCP and that's why you are not being assigned a 192.168.10.x address.  If you are unfamiliar with Cisco command line configurations, it can be very difficult for you to gain access to the system especially since its probably password protected.  I would check to see if there is an existing support contract so that cisco support can help you or I would contact another cisco partner (maybe cheaper) in your area and ask them to factory reset the system.

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for the reply. I've done some programming, so if I can get command line access to restore the factory configuration we should be good to go. I'll continue digging on this site.

Update:  I looked at the phone settings and found the IPv4 address is set to 10.1.1.11 with a SM of 255.255.255.0 and default router of 10.1.1.1.  I would have thought that setting a static IP address on the computer to one in range with the phones would allow me to ping the router at 10.1.1.1 however after trying that and unplugging one of the phones and using its identity I am still unable to ping anything but the IP address of the computer.

Drew,

I will have to refer to Marcus post earlier,

The Data VLAN is by default is 192.168.10.X, so if you are not getting it, then I would console into the unit and do a factory reset from there.

The 10.X.X.X IP you are seeing is the Voice VLAN (100) that is used for QOS of the traffic.

I would again point you to a partner in your area, check the directory for names

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Drew,

The best thing for you to do is to factory default the system, being that it is an older UC-520 I am going to have a guess that its flash card is going to be unstructured and kind of in a mess, but you should be able to find the factory default file... This should be a .cfg file and should bear the UC version name and its configuration build.

You will need to do the following:

• Download CCA 3.0(1) and the latest software pack, if you cannot do this for any number of reason, its fine but at least download CCA, if you do not have access to this then please post.
  • Reset the system to factory defaults using a console cable, if you do not know the username and password of the system, post back so we can all help you with getting around that
  • Once the system is reset back to factory defaults, use CCA to provision the system this means use CCA to again reset it back to factory defaults, and choose the option for it to format the flash card, this will then restructure it properly... However this is on the assumption you can get the latest Software Pack, if you cannot, then do not do the following as formatting the flash card also requires you to have the software pack.
  • After everything is finalized, then use CCA to build the system. When you load CCA up after a factory reset it will present you with a Telephony Wizard page, use this Wizard to provision and build the system for you, it is fast efficient and builds the system in a consistent format, it also makes it much..much..more easier to manage.
  • If you do not want the UC to do the DHCP then make sure you fill out the subnet's as though it was, put in the default gateway etc (Otherwise the UC is brilliant at controlling the network)... And after it is build we can remove the data DHCP pool from the system, this way all your VLAN's are in place and correct built.
  • Try and avoid changing the two main voice subnets, 10.1.1.X (For the phones) and 10.1.10.X (For the Voice Mail) leaving this in default mode is highly recommended (Explain this later if you want), only change the data subnet if you have too

I would also highly recommend that you check and see if the system is still under SmartNet, I doubt it will be being a UC-520, so I would recommend then purchasing a SBCS contract, it is worth every dollar, not just for the support but if something goes wrong with the unit (Faulty) Cisco will look after you, and this alone is better than insurance on the system, you can get that from any local Cisco partner, and I would highly encourage you to shop around as you will find that not all of them sell the products/services at the recommended retail prices

I cannot encourage you anymore than I have to use CCA to build and manage the system, the CLI is great but it just does not get the same build quality as what CCA can produce these days (Despite some of the bugs CCA does have).

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hello David,

First I want to thank you for the guidance. It is very much appreciated! I have downloaded the latest release of CCA and have it ready to go as soon as the unit can be reset, so we may start clean.  I presume the software you refer to is a new release for the UC? Can that be upgraded from within CCA?

I received the console cable and the good news is I'm able to get the UC520 up and asking for a password; the bad news is that they've changed from the default cisco u/p combination.  After a little research it looks like I need to ROMMON? If you can help me through this for the first time...

Thanks again.

-Drew

Hi Drew,

The following is some sites you can look at for tutorials:

First Site

Cisco based tutorial

Another one just to be on the safe side

In answer to your question about using CCA to upgrade it, YES and I would highly encourage you to use CCA as it is a seamless and straight forward process, but don't just use it for the upgrade, use it to re-program the system as well so you can get a clean and concise build on it.

Hope this helps out

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *