cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 504G PC port shuts down periodically

james.dockum
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with a Cisco 504g that the PC port periodically stops working. Usually rebooting the phone fixes the issue, but today it doesn't seem to be the case. The phone is running Software Version: 7.5.3. If he plugs his computer into any other phone or wall outlet he gets internet just fine. I have found a few articles that state they are having the same issue, but no for sure fix.

I am going to change out the customers phone with another 504g with 7.5.3 running on it as a quick fix.

I have had this issue a number of times with other customers and I was wondering if you had found a fix for the PC port issue. It is a hassle to have to reboot the phone every time this happens.

7 Replies 7

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

I doubt the trouble is with the phone if you had this trouble with other phones.  What type of switches are you using?  Are you using different voice and data VLANs?

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

It has been happening with multiple Cisco  phones at different customer locations. We are using Cisco SF302-08P POE switches along with power supplies depending on the location. At some of the locations we do have Data and Voice separated by VLANs. We have the phones set to talk to our TFTP server and reboot every night.

Does this happen on phones in flat networks or only ones with voice VLANs?

Are you scheduling reboots to try to avoid this issue?

Do you use the default VLAN as the native VLAN?

Are you using auto voice vlan and macros on these switches?  I would avoid that at all costs.  The macros do nothing but cause headaches for me.  Every SMB Cisco switch I install now I issue the global command:

macro auto disabled

and configure switch ports manually like: 

interface gigabitethernet5

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 100

At the location that I am dealing with no I have a Cisco WS-C3560-24PS.

I looked into the Macro and this device won't let me disable Macro Auto. He is what I get when I do a show on the Macro Auto Device. 

sh macro auto device
Device:lightweight-ap
Default Macro:CISCO_LWAP_AUTO_SMARTPORT
Current Macro:CISCO_LWAP_AUTO_SMARTPORT
Configurable Parameters:ACCESS_VLAN
Defaults Parameters:ACCESS_VLAN=1
Current Parameters:ACCESS_VLAN=1

Device:access-point
Default Macro:CISCO_AP_AUTO_SMARTPORT
Current Macro:CISCO_AP_AUTO_SMARTPORT
Configurable Parameters:NATIVE_VLAN
Defaults Parameters:NATIVE_VLAN=1
Current Parameters:NATIVE_VLAN=1

Device:phone
Default Macro:CISCO_PHONE_AUTO_SMARTPORT
Current Macro:CISCO_PHONE_AUTO_SMARTPORT
Configurable Parameters:ACCESS_VLAN VOICE_VLAN
Defaults Parameters:ACCESS_VLAN=1 VOICE_VLAN=2
Current Parameters:ACCESS_VLAN=1 VOICE_VLAN=2

Device:router
Default Macro:CISCO_ROUTER_AUTO_SMARTPORT
Current Macro:CISCO_ROUTER_AUTO_SMARTPORT

Device:switch
Default Macro:CISCO_SWITCH_AUTO_SMARTPORT
Current Macro:CISCO_SWITCH_AUTO_SMARTPORT

Device:ip-camera
Default Macro:CISCO_IP_CAMERA_AUTO_SMARTPORT
Current Macro:CISCO_IP_CAMERA_AUTO_SMARTPORT

Device:media-player
Default Macro:CISCO_DMP_AUTO_SMARTPORT
Current Macro:CISCO_DMP_AUTO_SMARTPORT

OK, that is an entirely different animal then the SF302 switch.  Commands would be similar but different.  I honestly have little experience with Catalyst switches and SPA phones together though so I have no idea.  The whole concept of these macros on switches bothers me though.  It seems so much simpler to just configure a switch the way you want it to be and not have it magically change port settings when you plug in a device.

I agree and it looks like I can't remove the default Macros. I am going to let this run and wait for a customer to call back in with the issue and them figure out what is going on from what you have recommended thank you for all the help.

I have no SF302-08P POE not the direct experience with it, but it is switch with "Energy Efficient Ethernet" & "Green Ethernet" feature, isn't it ?

There is CSCuo92127 known bug. Yes, such bug has been reported for SPA51x with 7.5.1 firmware and GE port, but, may be, no one tried it on SPA50x@7.5.3 yet.

So turn both Green Ethernet and EEE off (may be Port Management > Green Ethernet >
Properties page
) and try again.

Note: this thread has been moved from inappropriate forum to the better one.