cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7945 phone fails when downloading firmware

DavidAdams37205
Level 1
Level 1

I bought a Cisco VoIP lab that came with two 7945 phones.  I then bought an additional lot of six more 7945 phones.  The first two and four of the second six all work with no problems.  However, two of the additional six fail when downloading the firmware.  The first file starts, I see it say 100k, then it fails and restarts.  This happens on both phones.  I am using the same port and patch cable that was on a successful phone.  I have done the #12345678980# reset on all the phones and only these two fail.

Other than the phones being "defective", is there anything else I am overlooking?  I have tried to use the settings button on the two failing phones but I guess it is unavailable until the firmware loads.

Also, when these phones restart, there is a circle with a black dot on the lower left corner.  On the working

Thank you,

David Adams

Mobile, AL

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First rule when learning Cisco-ish:  Always read the Release Notes.  

SIP Firmware Upgrade Issues

For all SIP firmware upgrades from firmware release versions earlier than 8.3(3) to Version 9.3(1) or later, you must first upgrade your phone firmware to an intermediate version (8.3(3) to 8.5(2)) and then upgrade to 9.3(1).

The following upgrade issues apply:

• If you are currently running firmware 6.0(2) to 7.0(2) on a Cisco Unified IP Phone and want to upgrade to 8.x(x), be aware that upgrading will take up to twice as long to complete as usual.

Ok, you are correct.  Firmware 9-2-1 and 9-3-1-1 download and work on the 7945 G ver 11 phones.  However, the 7945 G ver 14 phones fail when trying to download those.  A person did provide me with 9.4.2.1 and at first, that appeared to be working - the phone downloaded the files  . . .  but then came up as "unprovisioned".  When I googled that, it said the firmware was either corrupt or not compatible with the phone I was trying to download it to.  There is a 9-4-2-4 firmware --- but only available through a Cisco Partner . . .   I used the Cisco website to Locate a Cisco Partner and they only listed three - one in NY, another one in Atlanta and a third one in TX.

So my question is since I am just a single person and of no $$$$ value to a Cisco Partner, what is the best way to find a Cisco Partner to sell to me?

Thank you,

David Adams

Mobile, AL

@DavidAdams37205 wrote:

but then came up as "unprovisioned".  When I googled that, it said the firmware was either corrupt or not compatible with the phone I was trying to download it to.

No, that is not correct. 

Before the phone could say "unprovisioned" the phone would have boot up SOMETHING.  The first question would be "did the phone boot the correct firmware or not" and this will be followed by "if not, then how did you configure the phone to boot the firmware". 

If this phone is configured for non-Cisco call manager, show us the SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf file.

It boots to the "blue background" and has the words "unprovisioned" in the lower left corner.  When I watch it load the files, it does that - just like the ver 11 phones do.  As I said, the ver 11 phones work with the 9-2-1 and 9-3-1-1 firmware - I can program them with numbers, make calls between them.  If I use the 9.4.2.1 firmware, the ver 11 phones download just like they did with the 9-2-1 and 9-3-1-1 firmware  but then show "unprovisioned", as does the ver 14 phones.  I keep googling for Cisco 7945G ver 14 firmware, the only results are links to Cisco for the 9.4.2.1firmware which can only be obtained through a Cisco partner.  And someone sent me that firmware.  I now see there is 9-4-2-SR4 available - but only through Cisco partners.

David Adams

Mobile, AL

Factory reset the phone.