cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SPA504G freeze

markprice9
Level 1
Level 1

We have 7 SPA504G phones recently deployed, connected to an ESW 520 24P PoE switch.

At very random times, a phone will "freeze" such that the screensaver is stuck and the time displayed on it stands still.  Pressing keys on the phone including menu button do not show any results on the screen of the phone.

Oddly, I was able to ping the phone when this happened and also load the web interface in my browser.  The web interface shows the current time on the phone being the same time that is "frozen" on the screensaver.

This doesn't seem to be related to a calling or QOS issue as my phone froze at 6:18am before anyone was in the office.

All phones are running the current latest firmware, 7.4.6

95 Replies 95

I see there are two different phones used for the dhcp testing.

One with mac 0002FDFFD4DA on the 7.4.7 which fails to do DHCP Request while the other unit is mac 0002FDFFC6D2 on the 7.4.4 which does the DHCP Request and receives the DHCP Ack.

Have you confirmed that using just one phone with the same mac works on 7.4.4 fails on 7.4.7?  If so, I'd like that trace so I can escalate to dev (showing them the same phone is acting differently) .  Thanks.

In regards to the lock when using POE, have you put a power supply on the phone that's using the POE switch to see if that stops the lock up?

I am not happy about upgrading another device because if the same thing happens I will have two totally unusable devices.

I have tried using a power supply and disabling POE on the switch but the lock up still happens.

I have attached two files for you that might give you a clue as to why the lock ups are happening. One is a wireshark trace and the other is a syslog file.

It looks like you are still using 7.4.4.

For your phone, you are unable to get it to 7.4.7?

There are some fixes for lock on 7.4.7 for some cases of DNS resolution and bad sip messages.

It looks like you only had syslog server set up on the phone.

It would be good to set up the debug server as well, debug level to 3 and sip debug level to full (in the ext tab).

Also, need to see the unit's config, you can use your browser, login as admin/advanced and save the file as htm.

One more thing, on that phone, just wanted to confirm that when you move to a DSL line, that it's fine but behind the PoE switch, it locks randomly and if screen saver is used, will lock up every time screen saver gets invoked, right?

I said in my previous post that I don't want to upgrade another device to 7.4.7 because if that is unable to obtain an IP address after the upgrade we will have two totally unusable units.

I can confirm that if any of the units are moved to a DSL line they work perfectly ok. If they are connected to a Catalyst 2960 POE switch they lock up exactly at the time that the screen saver is invoked and at random times if the screen saver is disabled.

It is unlikely now that we will continue with trying to get the new SIP platform up and running and will go to another SIP provider. If that is the case it is unlikely that we will be using the same devices. Our SIP provider has spent the last three months trying to get their platform working with little or no success, and with the locking up of the SPA504G units we are further away from getting a phone system than we were three months ago.

Thank you very much for your time and effort, but it is too late now.

Keith

Thanks for making the 7.4.7 software version available. I asked our VOIP provider to test it and provision our phones with it. The freeze problem has not happened at all since we upgraded. That was well over a week ago. I was having the freeze happen as much as twice a day prior to this version.

Thank you!!!!

westlandict
Level 1
Level 1

I have 10 SPA509G phones and got the same freeze issue.

I have upgrade the firmware to 7.4.7 and still got this issue.

When the phone is started up, then i can dial numbers to make a call.

to see this issue i make call after call, so i make a call, let ring the other phone and hang up, make a call and ring the other phone and hang up...

after a maximum of 10 calls within a maximum of 5 minutes, the phone will freeze when i try to make a call.

So i put in a phone number, press Dial... and then the phone hangs and i need to reboot it.

I also have a couple of SPA525G2 phones, but they don't have any problems.

At the first time i configure the whole phone and get the problem, so i reset the phone to the manufactory settings and then only put in my account settings in Ext1.

Settings are:

Proxy

Displayname

User ID

Password

all of the rest i leave as default... but also then the phone freeze when i make a call.

I also tried the option 'Make Call Without Reg:' set to YES

But also that doesn't take any effect.

Are you using name for the proxy parameter?  If so, can you try an ip address instead of the name for testing purposes to see if this lock up goes away?

Whats the different between filling a the proxy as a name or by IP ?

The SPA525G2 works perfect with the settings i used with the proxy as a name, and also a SPA942 works perfect.

Strange that the SPA509 needs the proxy as an IP...

Just to see if it's the DNS resolution issue that's causing the lock.  For testing purposes, use ip address and see if the phone still locks.

I wonder if there is any correlation to lock-ups and SPA504's that are behind two NAT's?

I was having periodic lock-ups while behind two NAT's.  But, two months ago, I reconfigured my home network so that my SPA504 is only behind one NAT.  I have not had any lock-ups in that two month period since I made the change.

It seems to be worked now with the proxy as an IP adress.

But then it is a bug in the SPA509G serie, cause other series i don;t have this problem.

Thanks for the info.  Dev is aware of the need to address dns related locks, they are working to fix this

in the next release.  7.4.7 addresses some cases but not all (as your test proved).  Thanks.

Is the phone still working fine?

When you put the name back in the proxy field, it will lock within minutes?

Can you give me the name that you are using for the proxy field?

If not in the community, please email me the name to nseto at cisco.com.

We'd like to test against that name here.

Also, if you could send the htm config (log in as admin/advanced) by saving the UI and emailing that to me, that would be great.  Thanks.

Also, the lockup was consistently every 5 minutes?

What's the ttl timeout to the server (for dns)?

If you have a wireshark when using the proxy as name, that would help.

Thanks so much.