Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco (SPA504G) headsets

pakozdibea
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Do Cisco phones (in my case SPA504G) support only 'monaural' (mono) headsets?

Just because I've tried my 2.5 Nokia headset, which is stereo, and either of the earpiece and the microphone wouldn't work.

However the headset works well with Nokia phones.

Is this a particular headset that doesn't compatible with Cisco phones or none of the stereo ones?

Or my Cisco phone has some connection problems?!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Almost all SIP codecs are mono only. Thus even with stereo headset you will not receive stereo sound. But you may listen to same mono sound sent to both ears of "stereo headset".

Also note that just "headset" is fuzzy term. Headphones come in various different impedance levels and connector wiring may vary as well. As a result, compatibility is the issue whenever you are wishing to connect a headset into a device.

I have no experience with SPA504G headset of any kind, but Plantronics HW720-SPA, Jabra BIZ 1500 Duo or Jabra BIZ 2300 Duo has been reported to be working in the past. I'm sure there are other models as well, but I can't enumerate.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Almost all SIP codecs are mono only. Thus even with stereo headset you will not receive stereo sound. But you may listen to same mono sound sent to both ears of "stereo headset".

Also note that just "headset" is fuzzy term. Headphones come in various different impedance levels and connector wiring may vary as well. As a result, compatibility is the issue whenever you are wishing to connect a headset into a device.

I have no experience with SPA504G headset of any kind, but Plantronics HW720-SPA, Jabra BIZ 1500 Duo or Jabra BIZ 2300 Duo has been reported to be working in the past. I'm sure there are other models as well, but I can't enumerate.