cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WBPN Factory Reset ?

ksuchewie
Level 1
Level 1

I need to factory reset my Cisco WBPN.  The instructions on youtube do not work.  Is there a different way to perform a factory reset?

7 Replies 7

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Nobody know what advice you found on Youtube. Thus nobody know the way he know is different or not.

Did you considered to follow official vendor's documentation (Cisco WPBN User Guide) ?

Ah yes, the good old did you read the manual reply.  If the manual had a solution that worked I probably would not have made this post.

The user guide suggests on page 32 to reset the device through the GUI.  If I cannot access the device's GUI then that option is not helpful.

The youtube video I referenced in my first post is within this post :https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/92746/cisco-wbpn-wireless-bridge-spa-phones-wifi-n

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shd5kuhMmww

Holding the rest button down for more than 4 seconds does nothing but make the System led flash amber, which is not even referenced in the video.  Rebooting the device afterwords just brings it back to normal operation.

As I found a WBPN device in my testing lab, I updated my previous response.

"If the manual had a solution that worked I probably would not have made this post."

If you are skilled user. But due lack of issue's description I assumed you are no such kind of user.

"If I cannot access the device's GUI then"

You didn't mentioned the GUI is not accessible. In advance, you didn't mentioned the IP configuration of WBPN nor the IP you wish to reach. But you are claiming you are skilled user, so I expect you analyzed possible issues with IP assignment in full. Note the GUI can't be disabled. So unless you are accessing GUI on wrong IP, the hardware seems to be broken.

Unfortunately, not so much to tell more.

The reset to factory default just works for me. Tried on 1.0.0 as well as 1.0.1k (a.k.a 1.0.2) firmware. If it doesn't work for you, you can assume the hardware is broken.

Note the reset button needs to be pushed firmly. If it flicker, the LED turn amber and power cycle is required to recover.

"You didn't mentioned the GUI is not accessible. In advance, you didn't mentioned the IP configuration of WBPN nor the IP you wish to reach. But you are claiming you are skilled user, so I expect you analyzed possible issues with IP assignment in full. Note the GUI can't be disabled. So unless you are accessing GUI on wrong IP, the hardware seems to be broken."

Let me clarify by "I cannot access the GUI".  I can find the device's IP in my DHCP pool and browse to the device.  However, the previous admin or user changed the login(s) for the device so I cannot login to it to do a reset or anything with the device via GUI.

Since I cannot log in to it, I cannot verify the firmware version.

Here's a video of me attempting to do a reset.  http://youtu.be/IlM6tXVlHFU

As you can see the light turns Amber.  Upon doing a reboot, it just reboots normally & joins my wireless network, not going back to "factory default".

Well, sorry, no further ideas.

There is no documented way to disable reset-to-factory-default procedure on standard devices. But it seems to be disabled on your unit. So it is either OEM/customized - or broken - unit. 

Try ask Small Business Support Center for help.

I'm now in the same boat and calling TAC.  Bought 4 devices; various levels of basic configuration and I just want the things to factory reset.  I can't access them via IP - not sure what state they're in - other than they connect to my wireless network and don't have a valid IP to web to (verified by client tab in vWLC).

My resets do the same thing, each device.  One's even upgraded to 1.02 (1.0.1k) and same scenario; press reset button in and about 4 seconds in I get the red blinky light of death.