Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with Busy Lamp Field on SPA509G

hello there,

I am currently having an issue I'd like advice or help on. First off let me tell what I have. I work at a Small computer repair shop and my boss had me setup a FreePBX system. We are using a Dell Optiplex PC, with a AEX card and running FreePBX with Asterisk. We have 4 different phone lines. All our Phones are Cisco SPA509Gs. I am relatively new to all of this.

Anyway, my manager wants to make it so the BLF is lit on the phone line on each of our phones, that way we know which Line is currently in use. WE have each phone setup so 4 extensions are mapped to the phone on the left side, and the extension assigned to that phone is set in the bottom right corner. Our First Phone has an attendance console on it. I finally got it setup so it will light whenever any of the phones/extensions are in use. But as far as staying lit when a phone line is in use, it doesn't I did use manual as a reference. But the basic code on it doesn't seem to apply. Could anyone help assist me in this task?

15 Replies 15

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I finally got it setup so it will light whenever any of the phones/extensions are in use. But as far as staying lit when a phone line is in use, it doesn't

Well, I'm unsure about the description. Are you trying to say "the BLF is just not working, LED is still of regardless the remote phone state" or you are trying to describe other behavior ?

Moreover you disclosed no line blf configuration, thus I'm unable to identify possible bugs in syntax ...

The BLF seems to work normal, but what we want to happen is have it so it lights up both the extension in use, and the phone line in use.

Either I still doesn't understand the goal (provide exact example of behavior then) or it's not the matter of phone configuration. Busy Lamp just show remote state supplied by the PBX. There's no internal logic behind - phone displays whatever state claimed by PBX. So it seems you wish to change PBX behavior. In such case, you should ask an FreePBX expert (in a FreePBX forum).

This post contain information related to other's site thus it may contain information considered Sensitive or Confidential.

I want the button for the phone line to stay lit up, not just the button for the phone extension. right now Whenever the extension assigned to a phone is connected, the light is lit, but it does not light up red to show the phone line is being used. We would like it to show that that phone line is being used on all the phones.

Lets verify I understand.

The LED on phone A lit green regardless the extension on phone B is used or not.

Correct ?

Otherwise, provide EXACT description - state of each phone/extension/LED, what behavior you are expecting, what (different) behavior you got. Something like:

• monitored extension on phone B is on hook, related BLF LED on phone A lit green - correct
  • monitored extension on phone B go off hook, related BLF LED on phone A should lit RED but it remain GREEN

I think you got it. We have about 8 phones. One with an attendance console. Each one has our four analog phone lines on the left side, on the right corner side of the phone we have that phone set. The Console on the main phone has each of the phone extensions displayed, so we can see who is on a call. But when that extension is in use, the line for the analog phone lines is Green, it is not lit red to show that the specific phone line is being used. Basically we want a way to show the status of our analog phone lines as well, I have asked the FreePBX community as well in case it is something on that end. Here is a photo of the phone, sorry if it is blurry. https://imgur.com/a/CVld0

OK, then disclose exact configuration of a Line Key N (that shall go RED but doesn't).

I assume you have "Server Type" (Attendant console tab) set to "Asterisk".

analog phone

Analog phone ? You mentioned no analog phone so far. Only SPA509G (one with sidecar) and FreePBX - all those devices are digital. So I'm still unsure I understand your overall topology.

Here is a photo of the phone

But I see nothing wrong of it. Handset is picked, thus first registered line key become active, related LED is going RED. So far, so good. What other behavior you are expecting here ?

I meant to say the phone lines are all analog. What you see is working fine. What I want to do is make it so it shows the phone line on the left lit. The Extension part works okay. I don't know how else I can explain it, I want both to light. The Line and the extension

Still don't understand where analog line are in your environment. Where those lines are connected to ? Who provide their status to BLF button on phone ? Where's the definition of the BLF button I requested in my previous comment ?

Yes, pictures helps a lot, but they are somewhat confusing as well. At the first, it seems you are using terms "Extension" and "Line" not the same way as administrators guide. All buttons on SPA509G are "Line Keys". A Line Key is either assigned to an extension, or have defined Extended Function or is unused. According the icons shown on your display, all lines are assigned to extension, so I don't understand what's difference between line you are calling "line" and the line you are calling "Extension". And you are still refusing to disclose a configuration of the Line Key you wish to see lit RED...

So sorry, I'm doing my best to help you, but it seems my skills are not enough here. Either provide me information I'm asking for, or wish someone else, more skilled, will respond you.

So what term do I use then? I don't know how to explain the fact that the 4 on the left are all asigned to a physicalScreen Shot 2018-03-23 at 2.29.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-03-23 at 2.30.10 PM.png phone line that runs into the PBX system. Then Each one is assigned to an extension in that ring group. Here are some screen shots.

I don't know how to explain the fact that the 4 on the left are all assigned to a physical line

You can't explain it just because it's not possible. SPA509G is digital phone. Analog lines just can't be assigned to them. So, it seems the analog lines are connected to FreePBX. And FreeBPX creates digital extensions related to them. SPA509G is connected to such digital extension.

OK.

According pictures you attached, Line Keys 5-8 are bound to Extension 1-4, al of them are declared "private". Is it intentional ? I'm still unsure, but it seems all phones have set of Ext 1-4 configured same way (e.g. the extension related to analog lines crated by FreePBX is shared by all of them). Unless I missed something, the line is shared, not private.

OR

FreePBX has created several digital extension related to single analog line and each phone is connected to own one (and such extension is not shared, e.g. is private).

Which one alternative is true ?

There are 4 analog lines, FreePBX has an extension for each line for each phone, if I set it for private it will not work the same, are you suggesting I should make each analog phone line linked to a singe extension and that will work?

FreePBX has an extension for each line for each phone

Unless I'm still misunderstanding. it mean each phone have it's own independent "line", despite the fact those lines have the same label on phones. But it's just label. According your description, every phone uses own extension account on FreePBX. Unfortunately, it's meaningless to speak about shared status of line - each phone have it's own line, there's nothing shared. Remember - analog lines are not connected to SPA509G. Analog lines are connected to FreePBX - and they are shared from FreePBX view only.

It will work if SPA509G will share digital extension - e.g. Ext1 on all phones will have same configuration and related Line Key will be claimed shared. But it require appropriate configuration on FreePBX's side. I can't advise here, I have no experience with it ...

thank you for your help and advice regardless.