cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to stop our SPG504G's from trying tftp?

rendragnetworks
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I'm going a little insane here - hoping someone can suggest a fix.

We have a few (10 or so) SPA504G phones in our NZ office, talking to a local cloud PABX mob.  When we first set them up, I wasn't keen on statically configuring them all, given we have no IT support there, so I spent a couple of days playing, and ended up with the following:

1) Local DHCP server sets option 66 to http://ourserver.ourdomain.com/phones/nzphones/XMLDefault504G.cnf.xml

That contains:

<flat-profile>

<Resync_On_Reset>Yes</Resync_On_Reset>

<Resync_Periodic>10</Resync_Periodic>

<Profile_Rule>http://ourserver.outdomain.com/phones/nzphones/spa$MA.xml</Profile_Rule>

</flat-profile>

2) I have a PHP script handling all access to /nzphones/ which uses a template, and a local database, to take the MAC address and shove in all the relevant user-specific configuration - local ports (for reverse NAT), username, password, etc etc.  I have the phones set to resync every 24 hours, so that any config updates I do only take 24 hours to get picked up, at the most.

That's all been working great for 6 months, except that one of the NZ staff happened to mention yesterday, that those reboots take about 15 minutes!

So I've been having a bit of a play, and it looks like the phones are initially ignoring the option 66, and trying to do TFTP to our DHCP server?!

Using TCPDump, I'm seeing lots of these:

192.168.64.114.1029 > 192.168.40.254.69: [udp sum ok]  50 RRQ "XMLDefault504G.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0

192.168.64.114.1029 > 192.168.40.254.69: [udp sum ok]  46 RRQ "XMLDefault.cnf.xml" octet timeout 10 tsize 0

I've been trawling through all the results in google, and youtube videos from cisco that I can find, but there's nothing overly in-depth to describe the exact configuration options I should be using..

Anyone happen to be doing something similar with their phones, and have figured this out?

Thanks,

Damien

1 Reply 1

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

At the first, don't use reserved file name XMLDefault504G.cnf.xml for your's customized configuration. Rename the file, change name in DHCP configuration.

XMLDefault504G.cnf.xml and XMLDefault.cnf.xml files are dedicated to SPCP mode configuration.

In advance, you can disable SPCP - add

SIP

to your configuration to disable SPCP autoconfiguration attempts.

Mark thread as answered if it solve your problem.