Views
Helpful
Replies

Metro-E with VPN failover

georgevjohn
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

We are setting up a multisite scenario. We have already purchased the UC560 plus IP Phones for the main site but we are looking at adding other sites to this. The requirement however is we are looking to use some sort of WAN connectivity (either Metro-E or other) in addition of having a failover Internet connection that connects to main site via VPN in the event the WAN connection fails.

The other sites are going to be very small ( no more than 5 users ) and will be primarily for the use of voice communications back to the UC560.

I was initially thinking of a 881 Router with ISR for the small branch offices. Just unsure if it was possible to have both the router determine when the Metro-E link was down and route the traffic using the VPN.

Any ideas of how what I should be looking at to have this accomplished?

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi George,

The UC-500 series can take a single Ethernet Hand-off WAN connection, but what it wont do is Auto-Failover... Unless you are really good with Command Line work and know how to get the UC-500 to do unorthodox things (Have done it in the past, but that was before the new rules kicked in on CLI support).

Outside of that, I would strongly recommend you get a Cisco Dual-WAN router and use that, something like a 1940 as I believe they are the replacements for the 1800 series, this way you have a proper fail-over system and also load balancing unit.

That is the only recommendation I can give you at this stage sadly

Cheers,

David Trad.
davidtradconsultinggmail.com

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *