cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mutual TLS is broken in 7.5.7 and 7.5.7s on SPA504 and SPA514

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We run a secure provisioning server. We mutually authenticate the TLS provisioning requests coming in from the phones (to make sure it is a Cisco phone and that the phone has a certificate in it installed by Cisco) before giving them their configuration file.

This process works across a wide variety of software versions, except the latest 7.5.7 and 7.5.7s releases.

On the server we use Apache/2.4.7. For phones running 7.5.7 and 7.5.7s we get this error in the Apache error log:

[client xx.xx.xx.xx:58598] AH02261: Re-negotiation handshake failed: Not accepted by client!?

Important bits of our Apache config relating to this are:
SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:!LOW:!SSLv2:!EXPORT
SSLProtocol -ALL +TLSv1.2 +TLSv1.1 +TLSv1
SSLInsecureRenegotiation on

SSLCACertificateFile /etc/apache2/ca.pem
* This definitely contains the Sipura CA certificates (can't remember, about 5 of them)

<Directory /var/www/https/Cisco>
Options MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
allow from all
SSLVerifyClient require
SSLVerifyDepth 1
</Directory>

How to we go about gettnig bugs investigated?  Our phones are under small business support.

38 Replies 38

What we do is specify the crypto order we would like to use in Apache using:

When a phone first connects in we upgrade it to a known software version, at which point it gets the rest of its config (which has been tested using that software version).

Unsuitable for PAP2T, SPA9xx, SPA[23][01]00, not sure about ATA800[08].

May not cause problem if you have no such kind devices.

Note the SSLProtocol option is bitmap, so

is the same as

SSLProtocol -ALL +TLSv1 +TLSv1.1 +TLSv1.2

Good news !

I just tested 7.6.1 firmware released a few days ago, XML applications are back into business !

In addition, SHA-256 signed certificates are now supported.

Perfect !

Ben

And it is much more faster !

XML requests' speed do not seem to be affected by DH group size anymore !

I'm back with a 4096-bits DH without impact.

But beware of zero-touch deployment. Virgin devices are distributed with 7.5.2 firmware or even older. They may not connect to such server for initial configuration.

I tried it in the meantime. Maybe it's faster, but still so slow. The SSL setup take about 3s on SPA504G/1.04/7.6.1 - i consider it so much for positive user's experience ...

Around 1.6s on a SPA5252G2/2.1.1/7.6.1.

7.6.2 still OK.

We tried 7.6.2 but rolled back to 7.6.1.  We found 7.6.2 code to be unstable.  After around a week or so we would start experiencing issues with phones locking up and needing to be power cycled.