cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie question on UC560 voice system. Problem registering phones.

Brandon Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.  I am a newcomer to the professional IT world, and have fairly limited experience with voice and networking.  My boss has assigned me the task of implementing our new voice system, and seeing as I'm the one IT guy here it all falls in my lap .  I'm having an issue with the UC560 voice system registering our SPA508G IP phones.  I believe the problem is that the UC560 IP address (192.168.10.1) lies on a different subnet than the phones (192.168.1.x).  I am also unable to access the UC560 from my office computer through CCA since it also lies on a different subnet.  Can anyone guide me in the right direction to fixing this so that the Cisco Configuration Agent telephony wizard picks up the IP phones automatically?  Thank you!

64 Replies 64

Hi Brandon,

This is excellent news

OK let's allocate static IP's to both the switch and the UC, my suggestion

is .1.254 for the UC and .1.253 for the switch... Can you please confirm

this is OK ?

What is your internet connection?

What is the modem, make and model please

How is the modem integrated into the network right now ? Need as much

detail on this as possible.

Let's sort this stuff out and then we organise a Skype session or something

so I can walk you through it

Cheers,

David.

"Sent from my Acer Iconia A500"

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

254 and 253 are both available.  As far as everything else..our internet is a direct fiber line which goes through a fiber converter (Omnitron flexpoint 10/100).  This then goes to our Cisco ASA 5505 and from there to the SF 300 48 port POE switch.

Hi Brandon,

Fiber...ASA....Daaaaaamn now that is a kick A** service and I am green in envy

Do you have more than 1 routable IP address from you ISP?

If so do you know how to configure an available port on the ASA to dedicate it for a direct connection to the UC WAN port?

Other than that, let's organise a time to hook up and how to do it so we can progress to the build stage

I'm in Australia which is +10 time zone... FYI

Cheers,

David.

Message was edited by: David Trad

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

We don't have more than 1 routable IP.  I set a static IP of 1.253 to the switch.  How do I go about setting the static IP of the UC?

Hi Brandon,

We get to that in the build stage I lust needed you to reserve it.

Time to start building now

You can attempt it on your own or I can guide you through it, let me know

as I would have to reserve the time to do it with you.

Cheers,

David.

I think I may try the build on my own and see how it goes(no disrespect intended).  I guess I could just use a few pointers for the build process...like setting the static IP and disabling dhcp on the UC560.  And any other tips or tricks are very much appreciated, as is all the wonderful help you have given me so far.

Brandon,

No disrespect taken what so ever I love the spirit to give it a go on

your own, that's awesome :-D

Just go through the wizard slowly, you will get to the network section and

in there you enter in the IP a dress you want to give the UC, don't worry

about DHPC yet we disable that after the build.

Couple of notes:

1. Do not alter the CUE VLAN, keep everything default in this regard only

change the data VLAN

2. Make sure the UC is nit connected to the network or the switch when

doing the build, please keep it stand-alone

Buzz back if you get stuck on anything

Cheers,

David.

On Feb 1, 2012 6:36 AM, "smitbrandon2" <

Hello David,

Just as an update:  I didn't get around to starting the build until yesterday.  It seemed to be going smoothly, but I changed the data VLAN IP and then was unable to connect to the UC560 afterwards.  I ended up resetting it using the CLI.  I'm also still confused as to why it isn't picking up phones automatically since I have a couple of them connected to the network for testing.  Also...am I assigning the WAN port an IP of 192.168.1.254 or is that for the data VLAN? What should I assign each?

Maybe I'm understanding this correctly maybe not..I'm such a networking newbie haha.  But I think my DHCP server is assigning the IP phones a 192.168.1.x IP when I plug them in and that is why they aren't communicating with the UC560 by default (since it has a default IP of 192.168.10.1).  Maybe I'm just confusing myself further and this really is above my head lol. 

Your best bet would be to take mdobiac and David's advice.  Pull out your laptop, open CCA, restore the UC560 to factory defaults and when it comes back online, run through the Telephony Setup wizard.  It will explain and guide you through every step.

Hi Brandon,

I'm a little concerned as to what you are doing and not sure if you are actually making this harder for yourself or not

Firstly, if the UC is not connected to your network, and you have the phones connected to the Cisco Switch, which is in turn uplink to the UC-500, then it is not possible to get an IP address from your DHCP server, for simple reasons as the DHCP option call on the phones is different, the phones also should be getting network configuration (Voice In particular) from the CDP packets, and they should only ever register in the Voice VLAN, if they are not an you are getting data VLAN IP addresses, then you have botched something up badly

Second, before you integrate the UC-500 into the existing network you need to turn of the DHCP server on the UC-500 with CCA so it does not get into a big argument with your existing DHCP service.

Also if you have changed the IP subnet of the Data VLAN with CCA and you did it in the right area, there should be no reason to have to go in via CLI to make modifications, CCA would propagate the info to all the right places for you. However in saying that, if you wanted to use CCA once that change is made, you have to load it up and delete the existing community you created, and then recreate a new one from scratch, the old one will have a different certificate etc..etc.. SO yes it wont find the UC at all.

How is the WAN port connected? From recollection the .254 was supposed to be the UC itself, the WAN port would have its own IP address that will communicate with the Edge Router unless the Edge router is in bridge mode and the UC is doing Ethernet Hand-off... So I am not quite sure what you are trying to do there, more clarification is needed on this front.

Again my offer still stands to spend some time with you on this and go over it using TeamViewer and Skype, one session would be enough to get you grounded and prevent struggles you should not be entertaining.

Anyway just a thought...

Cheers,

David.

David,

I think I will take you up on your offer.  I ended up factory resetting the UC so I don't do something accidentally that I will regret .  I will leave it be until we can work out a time to meet.  Thank you all for your help so far.  I'm on Central US time(-6:00), and I am in the office 8AM-4PM Central time Monday-Friday.  Let me know what works for you.  I really appreciate all the help!

Edit:  To clarify(hopefully), the phones are getting 192.168.1.x addresses from the dhcp server(server 2008).  Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding something or I have things connected in the wrong manner.  As I understand, the phones are supposed to get the 10.1.1.x (or what the voice vlan was).  I had the UC560 plugged into the uplink on the sf 300 switch but the phones still get addresses from my dhcp server.  Perhaps I'm just horribly confusing myself! 

Hi Brandon,

I have to work out the time differences so I can schedule in a reasonable time to do it.

You will need to get the following things ready:

• TeamViewer Click HERE to download it
  • Basic Network diagram to show me how you intend to connect the network up or even integrate the UC into the network, this way I can work out if it will work or if we have to find an alternative
  • Latest CCA on a System with Firewall and any AV's turned off (Don't want them to interfere with CCA)
  • A way for the system that we will be working on, connected to the UC, the one way we can do that is by having the UC's WAN port connected up into your network after a factory reset, it will get an IP address via DHCP and this way we can work directly on it from the computer we have TV running on

We will need to set aside about 1-2 hours at minimum, depending on how much you can absorb and if any problems are encountered, I dare say because it might be late at night here in my neck of the woods, I wont be able to stay up too late to avoid turning up to work like a zombie

Talk soon to arrange a time.

Cheers,

David.

Hello David,

I have teamviewer and skype ready.  Going to work up a rough network diagram (it has been a long time since I've made one forgive me if it's awful).  As far as a time...you are +10 timezone right?  Not sure what would work best for you.  I'm 16 hours behind and am in the office 8am to 4 or 5pm monday through friday.  What works best for you?

Ok attached to this post is a simple network diagram.  If you need more info let me know.  Also as a note..the phones are SPA 508G.  They are powered by PoE.  Each office has a line from the switch into the phone's SW port and each workstation will be connected from the phone's PC port.