Views
Helpful
Replies

SF 300-24P Working with UC320W

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Team,

I am working on a LAB system and testing the new SF 300-24P switch and its mode of operation with a UC-320W as these series switches appear to be the best suitable partner appliance.

However ALL day yesterday I was trying to get this switch to play nice with the UC-320W and just couldn't get it to work, after 9 factory defaults I gave up and resorted to my emergency contact to help me out, which like always so gracefully did. I uploaded the new firmware I was given to the switch which gave it CDP capabilities (EXCELLENTO!!!), and still after 3 factory resets on both the UC and the SF-300 still no joy.

So I can ping the Switch when I am plugged into the UC so there is comms, I can ping the UC when plugged into the switch... OK eliminated a communication issue, but when I plug a phone into port 1, the phone just sits there in a "Downloading default XML file" or "Upgrading firmware" state and never moves from there, I even left it on all night and come in to a phone that was a sleep and still trying to do the same thing.

OK I have checked the trunk port and verified that this is perfectly fine, and have checked port one to make sure that Vlan-1 and Vlan-100 is working on that port and it is, the rest which have nothing plugged into them as just default.

I have tried all 24 ports as well and all yield the same result, the switch correctly changes the port type using SmartPort I guess, but still no communications between UC-320W and switch.

I have banged my head against my desk a little too much on this problem and now need some help, the whole learning by break-fix method has given me a headache BIG TIME!!

HELP!!!!

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
4 Replies 4

Hi David,

I can't help you on the bleeding edge firmware you are currently running.   As for the firmware version from the factory the configuration instructions are explained step by step in the Smart Designs doc  Deploying Cisco Small Business 300 Series Switch with UC320W

found here:   UC320W Documentation

The basic steps are from factory default settings:

Create VLAN 100

Update all ports to be TAGGED on VLAN 100   (make sure you select VLAN 100 and hit GO)

VLAN 1 is left untagged on all ports.

Once you are working then you can turn on the Voice VLAN which sets up QoS.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yeah I followed the guide which is normally the first thing I do anyway, its configuration is not too different to the old Linksys SRW switches just with a more groovy interface.

Following the guide didn't work, and I am beating myself up over this as really this is not rocket science, it is just straight forward networking so I have no clue why I am encountering all these issues, even with the new firmware that should be released soon (I hope) it should be much more simpler and it should just work, but sadly it doesn't.

I am still cracking away at it, just taking more breaks so I do not completely frustrate myself with it.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David,

Let me know if the post by Bryan Neese helps:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3318733#3318733

If so, I'll get it added to the documentation.

Chris

[UPDATE]

Well after Dave "Gandalf" Harper remote into the staging laptop and checked everything out, the system now works... AMAZING!!!

He seems to think that it magically fixed itself, I reckon he did something but just wont admit it because he wants lesson the blow on me so I don't feel so stupid

I agnoise over this for almost two days, he spends 10 minutes in there and fixes it that is what I call master wizardry

Cheers,

David.