cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

spa112: possible to choose between 2 sip servers on one line?

Nicksreason
Level 1
Level 1

Id like to be able to select between two voip providers on one spa112 line. Is there a good way to do this?

5 Replies 5

Id like to be able to select between two voip providers on one spa112 line. Is there a good way to do this?

Setup the two providers on a PBX and have your SPA112 an extension on the PBX. You can setup your own Asterisk based PBX for a pretty minimal budget.

The reason you can not do this directly on a SPA112 is that voip providers require caller authentication (userid / password). The SPA112 ATA has no provision to do this on a single line.

An older ATA, the SPA3102, does have a provision to configure outbound only voip providers (up to four) as long as the voip provider does not require registration prior to the outgoing call.

Dan, 

Thanks for pointing out those dial plan parameters.  I tested it again today with my SPA3102 and analyzed the result with a WireShark sip trace. It still fails with my SPA3102. Perhaps it would be different with a SPA112.

With the SPA3102 this is the difference I observed between a good call using a SPA3102 gateway configuration and a rejected call using the usr=; pwd=; nat parameters in the dial plan:
In the header of the INVITE of the rejected call:
1. the From: line did not reflect the usr=nnnnnnn entry or the sip_proxy where the call was sent
2. the Contact: line did not reflect the usr=nnnnnnn entry.

The DNS was correct and the INVITE was sent to the correct ip address and port number. In the header the Proxy-Authorization line was the same as in the completed call.

The user name parameter must be usr= not uid= (as stated in some documentation), otherwise the correct username= entry in the Proxy-Authorization line of the INVITE header  is not correct.

I tested with the following dial plan:
(<#9,:>xx.<:@sip.callwithus.com;usr=nnnnnnnn;pwd=nnnnnnnn;nat>|<#8,:>xx.<:@gw2>|xx.)

Perhaps the sophistication of various voip provider's authentication will vary and the technique will not fail if only the Proxy-Authorization information is authenticated for a caller.

I tested it so long time ago, so I remember no details, but there may be a condition that may affect the results.

If the usr/pwd used in DialPlan of Line 1 is the same as the registration credentials used on Ext 2 you may got different results from the case when usr/pwd is unrelated to a credentials configured on a extension.

Thanks Howard,

I looked into this first with FreePBX or Asterisk but decided it meant I had to maintain (and power) a computer to keep it alive. I liked the simplicity of a little box like the SPA112 only. I was looking into a Raspberry Pi for the FreePBX. What turned me away from that idea was a few reports of the SD card getting corrupted upon power outages and writing. I'd still like to try this idea though.

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

99hwittenb  says true, but there's some not so bright light on the end of tunnel.

Read DialPlan string for SPA122 with <@sip-operator;uid/usr=; pwd= > including the comments.

Note such feature needs to be considered undocumented. It may or may not work for you. Just try it if interested.