Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA232D SPA302D DTMF not recognized

I am using my system for one SIP line and also PSTN. Everything is working fine except when I call another number then when I need to send DTMF tones (for options or phone extensions) the DTMF signals are NEVER recognised. Is there a standard setup for DTMF info that I should be using? I would really appreciate any help. Thank you.

11 Replies 11

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You disclosed no details. I don't know the path between SPA232D and PSTN. No chance to help you.

There is no single standard for DTMF over SIP. All devices on the SIP path up to SIP<->PSTN gateway needs to be configured same way.

Apologies Dan. I am just using the SPA302 Dect phone with the SPA232D.The ATA is connected to the PSTN phone line by RJ11 jack. I can make and receive PSTN phone calls, but when I try to send DTMF signals (for phone extensions or bank options etc) the DTMF tones are not recognized. I'm sure its down to all the DTMF options like level, length AVT, In Band etc...but not sure what settings I should be using.

all the DTMF options like level, length AVT, In Band etc...but not sure what settings I should be using

There's no generic answer. You need to follow requirements of your VoIP provider. Note that in-band method (if requested by provider) is incompatible with compressed codecs so use PCMU (in USA and Japan) or PCMA (other countries) only.

Thanks Dan, is there a generic setting DTMF for PSTN setting? I can’t even get that to work.

Turn on syslog&debug and verify SPA232D is trying to relay DTMF. If DTMF is not recognized on input it can't be relayed to output.

Note there's nothing like standard PSTN. Make sure PSTN setting (especially port impedance) follows local PSTN specifications. While speech may work even with incorrect settings, DTMF is more sensitive.

Thanks again.

I have tried all the different impedance settings. it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have tried with 2 independent 232d units and also with different SPA302d units. I have tried to setup a syslog to debug using email, but I keep getting message "Syslog configuration is not complete, Please configure setting first".

I would really like to get my ATA working on PSTN before I try with SIP.

Here are my regional and PSTN settings :-

Screenshot 2019-05-25 at 14.06.31.jpgScreenshot 2019-05-25 at 14.06.17.jpg

Impedance is not the only important setting. Even input/output gain, DTMF playback level and length and even others needs to be configured according operator requirements.  So many permutations for try&test method. Ask your operator for specification.

I have tried to setup a syslog to debug using email

Syslog and debug of Voice application supports no email method at all.

Debug and syslog Messages from SPA1x2 and SPA232D ATA

Unrelated note - if you wish to use G711a codec only, don't leave other codecs enabled.

Not very scientific but I solved this DTMF issue on the PSTN by going back several releases. I was on 1.41 downgraded to 1.32. Inband DTMF tones while on a call now work!

Thank you. Can you tell me where to locate version 1.32.

I created a Cisco CCO account Cisco.com. Go to support software downloads search SPA323, accept all the usual pop ups. Once on the download page show all releases and it will appear. Initially I download the compiler by mistake, went back and found the firmware.

Thank you ver much.

That has fixed the DTMF problem.