Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA303 keeps rebooting with the reboot reason: Backup IP

prionetandrew
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Support Community,

I have a number of SPA303 IP Phones deployed in a LAN on one site communicating with a SIP server in another site over a VPN and these phones will keep rebooting themselves with the Reboot Reason: Backup IP.

Does anybody have a clear understanding of what causes this reboot reason and where I can find out more information about what this reason means as it is not in the list in the manual?

Thanks

Andrew

2 Replies 2

EricDynamo
Level 1
Level 1

I just ran across this issue myself with all of our SPA50xGs. In my case the Backup IP reason meant that the phone could not reach my DHCP server, and would reboot once an hour (more specifically every 63 minutes). To figure this out, I actually factory reset my phone and noticed that it could not pull an IP address. Once I fixed the DHCP issue, no more reboots occurred.

My suggestion for resolving this would be to factory reset a single phone, assign a Static IP, and manually configure it for your PBX/VoIP Provider and see if it randomly reboots. These steps should tell you where the failure occurrs. I am still not 100% sure what "Backup IP" means, but I believe it has something to do with the phone having networking issues.

Hopefully this helps you resolve your issue or anyone else who sees this error message with firmware 7.4.9C.

I have the same problem. Reboot reason: backup IP, reboot each 63 minutes.

And it really looks like my IOS DHCP server has problems and is not able to assign addressess to ip phones.