cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA504G Issues - "Forbidden" message and *67 private number.

jamessullivan20
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

We have SPA504g's however we are having a few issues.

1 - if we try to transfer a call it says "forbidden" - this also happens with conference call.

2 - if someone calls it goes to voicemail and doesn't do a call waiting

3 - if I want to call someone on private number I use *67 however this then changes the phone settings and saves it. I only want to do this occasionally, so don't want to have to go into settings and turn it off every time *67 activates private call.

I expect/hope there is a way around number 3?

However I have yet to meet anyone who has experienced 1 and 2 - so not feeling confident about a solution for it. Has anyone seen this message before?

Cheers

James

5 Replies 5

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You didn't described your environment so much. Is the SPA504G connected to SIP softswitch or call manager ? No way to provide valuable answer with no environment description.

Issues you described may be either phone or PBX issue. Turn on syslog&debug and catch them as well as SIP packets (if you are using SIP mode).

Hi Dan

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciated it.

We do not have PBX, we simply have 2 VOIP phones from Engin - the extreme saver plan: http://www.engin.com.au/phone/voip-plans

They are running on Telstra internet. We have tested a soft-phone on the PC to check if it is the handset and call transfer or waiting still does not work, so this proves it is not the handset (+they were brand new and unlocked).

Had about 400 calls with Engin and they keep saying they are looking into it and we are the only one in the world with this issue, but I find that hard to believe.

I called a VOIP technician and he told me he has heard of it once before but never found a fix, and he believes that Engin know exactly what is going on and they do not allow it because they only give you one line, and you need 2 on each phone to do the above features.

However their website clearly says we should get call waiting with our service: http://www.engin.com.au/phone/voip-plans/features

So I am not sure if this is true, as surely there would be other people who have come across this issue, and complained or wrote about it online.... Especially if they are false advertising...

Any ideas?

Cheers

James

It's not matter who own the PBX/call manager your phones are connected to. Despite you didn't disclosed details, I will assume you are connected to SIP PBX.

Unfortunately, even SIP PBX may have different configurations and requirements.

You should catch SIP dialog related to cases you mentioned. It may or may not help.

Ad 1 - there are so many ways to invoke "transfer" supplemental service. Catched SIP dialog may help, but it may not. We need to know how the transfer feature should be invoked on Engine's equipment.

Ad 2 - capture of SIP is "a must" here. We need to know if CW is not provided by Engine (e.g. second call will be rejected by Engine and doesn't arrive at all, so no re-configuration on our side will help) or is rejected by phone (re-configuration of phone may help). Same for 3PTY conference feature.

Ad 3 - I'm unsure what you mean "private number", but it seems you are speaking about feature known as CLIR (or Caller ID blocking). By default, the CLIR feature can be turned on/off dialing *67/*68 code. You can override it for next-call only using *81/*82 code. Those default codes can be overwritten according your's wishes on Regional -> Vertical Service Activation Codes. You may move *67/*68 codes to per-call CLIR invocation leaving permanent invocation codes empty, for example. Note that CLIR service may be provided by Engine as well, you should check the method of your's choice will not not have harmful interferences with their's method.

Thanks Dan

3 - That works perfectly. Thanks for that.

As for 1 & 2 - you will have to excuse my lack of knowledge but all I know is that when I spoke to Engin they then tried to upgrade us to SIP Trunking or PBX. At this stage I believe we do not have PBX, we simply use VOIP over the internet.

I also have no idea what 'catch SIP dialog' means? Sorry.

All I know is that Engin are telling us we should have these features and they can't work out why we do not.

In regards to CW - what happens is when we are on the phone the caller who attempts to call gets redirected straight to VM. Whereas it should flash up on my handset with the 'CW' and I believe we should have the option to hang up current call and accept the new call or ignore it and let it ring through to VM.

As for transfer - when on the line if we simply click transfer and then type in the other phone line number (or any other number) it flashed forbidden and makes an engaged tone.

Hope these extra details help?

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers

James

At this stage I believe we do not have PBX, we simply use VOIP over the internet.

It depend on "who is we". You personally may not have a PBX. But SPA phone is connected to a PBX. And phone's configuration must be tuned according PBX's requirements.

All I know is that Engin are telling us we should have these features

Then they should be able to tel you how they should be invoked. Don't accept "they are standard" response as there are more "standard" methods to do it. Ask for a documentation suitable for VoIP network administrator. Unless you will understand such kind of documentation we should help you here.

If the Engine have neither documentation of the services provided nor they can describe them upon request then consider to order services from elsewhere.

I also have no idea what 'catch SIP dialog' means?

SIP is the name of the protocol the phone is using to setup, control and terminate the calls. The SIP packet is just network packet sent thru network. The dialog is the sequence of requests sent from one side and responded from other side related to one particular call. (Note this explanation is simplified a lot).

So 'catch SIP dialog' mean you are asked to capture the SIP network packets - so we can see their content. Ask your local network administrator for help with it.

In regards to CW - what happens is when we are on the phone the caller who attempts to call gets redirected straight to VM.

Yes, I understood it. I assume the call is redirected to VM because either:

no CW service works on operator's side (thus no attempt to deliver second call to you)

or

attempt to deliver second call to your phone has failed

We need to distinguish those cases. So we need to analyze captured SIP packets. It will reveal there has been an attempt to setup second call or not. If there has been attempt to establish second call but it has been rejected by phone, we can try it to solve the issue. If there's no attempt we can do nothing with it. Operator need to solve the issue.

Similar apply for transfer. The current method configured on TRANSFER button seems to be incompatible with Engine's requirements. Thus you attempt to transfer is rejected. Engine's must disclose how the transfer feature needs to be invoked - so we can configure the proper behavior then.

3 - That works perfectly. Thanks for that.

Glad to hear we solved it. Consider rating of helpful advices It will help others to found solutions of particular issue.