cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA525G Shared Line Appearance

gregconran
Level 1
Level 1

I have been unable to figure out how to set up our SPA525G phones with shared line appearance.  The user manual doesn't appear to be helpful in this regard.

Either instructions are not accurate, or something is being left out.  Would appreciate clarification.  Whenever I put any value into the "Shared User ID" field, the phone restarts, and blinks Red. 

STEP 4 In the Shared User ID field, enter the user ID (name) of the phone with the extension that is being shared.

What is this user ID?   I've tried the user id field of the phone that is being 'shared' (under Subscriber Information section, user ID).  That doesn't work.  I've tried other values such as the phone display name, etc.)  

Frankly, the manual appears useless...

There are two areas on a phone to set up a shared extension.  The manual doesn't differentiate the settings between the phone being shared and the phone that needs to share the info.  If they are the same settings, it should probably mention that.  It would seem to me that the phone being shared would probably be sharing the primary line (EXT 1), but I can't tell.

The two sections needed to be changed include:

Phone section (only two options to select from - private or shared)

Ext section

share extention (can select private or shared)

share user id (what value goes here?) - any value I try only makes the phone blink red (I think I got an orange blink at one point, but I cannot reproduce now)

Appeciate any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Gregory,

Can you also confirm what service or device that the SPA525G is registering to?  The SIP service must support the configurtaion of Shared Line on multiple phones.

Thanks,

Randy

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

klogata
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gregory,

I'm sorry the documentation is unclear and missing information. I will talk to one of the engineers to get more information on how to configure shared line appearances. I will update here and also make sure that information is included in the next revision of the Administration Guide.

Thanks,

Kerry

Hi Gregory,

Can you also confirm what service or device that the SPA525G is registering to?  The SIP service must support the configurtaion of Shared Line on multiple phones.

Thanks,

Randy

Hi Randy,

That is an interesting point. We are currently using Intermedia. How would I determine what the SIP service is? I can pull that info from the phone. It is entirely possible they don’t support the shared line appearance – their service is ‘hosted’, and off our premises.

Greg

Good call.  I've checked with the Vendor, and it appears their switch does not support it, hence the reason the configuration appear to fail.  Hopefully they will support it at some point, or we will have to find a different vendor for the backend!

Thanks.  From Randy's message it may be that the service we're using won't even support it (Intermedia Hosted).  Since I think I've tried every combination of User ID, Phone name, etc.  It may be that I'll need to move the phones to a different service, or purchase an in-house PBX from Cisco to support this function. 

Gregory,

Thanks for the update and confirmation on the service limitation. 

The UC320W doues support the Shared Line configuration if you decide to go with inhouse PBX.

Randy

Thanks. We may have to. I’ll look up the specs on the UC320W and find out if it’s the next best step.

We have approximately 16 phones in our main office (an additional 3 analog), and about 5-6 phones that are considered ‘remote’ at different locations. If we hit the license max on it, can we buy more, or does it require a different unit?