cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA525G Stuck in reboot loop

hotstartsw
Level 1
Level 1

I was trying to change the wallpaper on my SPA525G and I entered a URL but forgot to include the "http://" in front of it.

After saving the settings, the phone rebooted and is now stuck in a reboot loop. Each time it gets to the picture of the phone with an arrow pointing to a cloud and then restarts again.

I can't get into the web interface.

Is there a way for me to clear the settings to either fail-safe or factory defaults so I can recover my phone?

Cheers

Paul

25 Replies 25

No, I have tried many, many times booting the phone and pressing the menu button with various frequency (i.e. once every second during the boot, every 2 or 3 seconds).  Did you notice while you are pressing the boot approximately when did it give you the menu, what was the screen showing, and did it give you the normal menu?  By normal menu I mean, did it clear off the screen and give you the standard gui menu.

Its a little while ago now but from memory, it was quite late in the boot process (well after the Cisco logo). I seem to recall it was on the screen with the phone and cloud. I was pushing the button about once every 1 to 2 seconds.

Yes, it cleared the screen and displayed the usual menu. At that screen, I couldn't do a factory reset  (told me I was in a call) but I seem to have been able to stall the boot/reboot process long enough to get into the web interface and remove the background image settings. It took me a few times to get it right.

Once I did that the phone booted normally for long enough to do a full factory reset (seemed unstable otherwise) and since that its been great.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Paul

Hello,

I found myself with two phones in this reboot-loop. After reading this thread I tried to mash the menu button as often as possible to get into the settings screen. I never had any success with this.

However I had entered a valid address into the "" field. The phones just did not like my BMP picture. So I did copy the contents of a JPG image into the BMP file, which the phone tried to download from our web-servers. (keeping the BMP-extension). The phones did download and show the JPG file correctly and worked normally after that.

Another aproach could be, to use a dhcp server with tftp-config option set to get other parameters from a tftp server. I would have tried this next.

I wish yo good luck with your problem.

Kind regards,

Martin Jendrian

LinkSIP

It has replaced the Cisco Logo with the wallpaper that I put on that subseqently put me into the problem.  No amount of hitting the menu key at any point during the boot process will break it out of the cycle.

The strange thing is it never tries to pull the config again from the server.  I have run tcpdump off the server where it pulls the image and the config.  It will get an IP address from a DHCP server sit there and reboot.

I'm really at a loss here.

Dear Sir,

this is an open issue that has been filed as a BUG into CDETS, the case number is CSCtd63373 in the case you want to track it.

Thanks!

-nacho

thanks

P.S. tasty name

Dear Sirs;

Please try pressing the speaker button several times after the Cisco Logo appears (it is not the menu but the Speaker button). This should bring you to the emergency menu.

Regards
Alberto

Speaker button worked!!!!

I performed a recovery reset.  Not sure what that does, but I can now access everything and loop has been broken!!!!

Thanks SO much.

Hi Guys,

Just have a 525G today with FW 7.4.5

Working perfectly with nomado VoiP

Everything ok BUT.... when I put a image url on the "BMP Picture Download URL" and of course : "Background Picture Type: " Download BMP Picture

Whatever format I put .gif .jpg .bmp it freezes 15 sec and then reboot and even stuck in reboot in loop

Thanks to the speaker button, I can stop the loop..

But it seems that putting a nice logo image is not possible .. too bad

The stange thing is that it was working one hour ago, and with finetuning the size of the image (not written anywhere the exact size) it satrted to crash in loop..

Maybe I should download the new firmware? Can I do it easily with a Mac?

Thanks so much

Olivier

Nomado VoIP provider Best Quality Rate of VoIP (datanews.com)

Hi Olivier,

It could be that there are issues with the images that you're attempting to use. To eliminate this possibility, please try some known-good images.

There are sample images attached to the following link that you can use to verify and perform a sanity check: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9940

If the phone continues to misbehave then load 7.4.6 on your SPA525G. It and release notes are available from Cisco.com

There are links in the reference document, listed below, that point to locating firmware if you need help.

You should have no problem upgrading the SPA525G. Direct your browser to http:///admin/advanced

Top-right of the page, click on Firmware Upgrade, locate the firmware on your computer, and upgrade.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

You only need one reference document for all SPA phone firmware, information, and utilities.

Thanks Patrick

It did'nt helped to upgrade the FW to 7.4.6

Still the same issue and i tried different public image URL.. same prob, it reboots in loop.

It is late now in Europe so I'll try tomorrow to choose different format, just have used jpg on the 7.4.6

Thanks again

Olivier

Nomado VoIP provider Best Quality Rate of VoIP (datanews.com)