Views
Helpful
Replies

UC 540 - SF 300-24P Phone Reset Loops and Non-display in CCA

sbutcher88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

New to the forum and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I did search but did not find anything.

I have just deployed a UC540 with 16 extensions. It connects to the LAN via the expansion port going into an SG300-10 switch, which has a trunk port to a SF300-24P switch. I installed the latest firmware prior to the deployment which brings new CDP features. However, there is some really odd behaviour and I think it may just be down to some misconfiguration. When I connected the devices to the SF300-24P, they all boot as expected. However, none of them are able to boot and register concurrently. One will connect and register, while the rest sit in a constant reboot cycle. It is as though there is a bottleneck as each one is eventually processed. The only way to really get them online is to disconnect all of them and then manually connect them one at a time. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Can anyone suggest what could be causing this?

Additionally, the switches are not displaying in the Topology view, which I would have thought they would as CDP is now enabled?

A final point, which is most likely easy to correct is I have not connected the WAN port to anything as the PBX is not acting to a router and receives connectivity via the expansion port. This is causing a problem as I am unable to activate my additional 8 pack of licenses. Anyone know if it is possible to change the routing. I tried ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 but can only set the integrated NIC as a possible interface...

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stuart,

I just thought of one other thing that may be causing a problem..  I am not well versed in the 300 series switches, but I believe the 24 port POE only supports a max of 180 Wats.  You may have a problem with all the phones booting at once, going over that limit.  As the ports come up giving out the max of 15.x watts may be causing a problem..  Someone told me that you can prioritize the POE on those switches, but I am not familiar with the interface...   Anyway, just a thought.

Thank you,

Darren

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Darren DeCroock
Level 4
Level 4

Stuart,

Not sure exactly why the phone will not register all at the same time.  Are all of the connections going to the SF300 switch configured as a trunk, including VLAN 1 and 100?

Topology will not show the phones, which are 2 hops away..  Topology will only show direct "neighbors".  To see the phones, you would have to add the SG300, and the SF300 switches to the "site".  Support for the SF and SG series switches will be added in the next version of CCA (3.1), which is due to be release at the end of July.

There is a web URL that you can access to register the PAK, which would then send you the license file.  Otherwise you can call into support, and they can register the PAK for you also.

Thank you,

Darren

Hi Darren,

Thanks for your reply.

On the SG300, GE9 is trunked to the UC540. GE10 is then trunked to GE4 on the SF300. CDP is enabled by voice on both switches. All of the 24 ports are set to smartports automatic. I'm going to reset both switches to factory tomorrow as I had them configured manually with LLDP-MED previously and am worried that this may be conflicting.. One thing that is interesting however is the ports on the SF300 seem to flap during the registration. For example, the syslog shows FE4 going down, then coming up... After the reset, with CDP enabled on the switches, do I need to do any manual configuration on them? Could the cause be due to security or STP?

It is very odd that if I connect all 16, then disconnect 3 or 4, the remaining 12/13 come up within seconds. I then reconnect the 3/4 and they come up within seconds.. It doesn't matter what phone's I do this on.. There doesn't seem to be any particular pattern.

So frustrating... There seem to be some many teething problems with the system. Today, the system suddenly gave "unknown number" to any outbound call. It turns out it was due to only using 3 BRIs but having all 4 as members of the trunk group (even though I shutdown port 4)...

Stuart,

I just thought of one other thing that may be causing a problem..  I am not well versed in the 300 series switches, but I believe the 24 port POE only supports a max of 180 Wats.  You may have a problem with all the phones booting at once, going over that limit.  As the ports come up giving out the max of 15.x watts may be causing a problem..  Someone told me that you can prioritize the POE on those switches, but I am not familiar with the interface...   Anyway, just a thought.

Thank you,

Darren

Darren,

Makes sense, but even if the SPA502 only draws a max of like 1.7W will the port still come up at the max 15.4? Surely, they wouldn't stay online for a bit and then drop off if this was the problem? I will try resetting phones with only 10 connected (as 180W/15.4W = 11) and see what happens.

--

Stuart

Tried rebooting the phones with only 10 connected. All came up fine. Do you know if there is a way to change the initialisation output of the ports or how to change the priorities? Seems strange they use 15.4 at start up.. Any idea why?

Stuart,

I asked some of the people who support the 300 series switches, and they said you can set the priority on the ports, but I did not inquire as to exacty where this setting was located.  I would guess that it would be under the POE settings.  You can set some of the phones to "critical" and the rest to a lower setting.

I reason for starting up with 15.4W is because they switch does not know what is connected, and the device may require max power.  The phones do require more power during the boot process also, until they are "up"...  But I believe it is only about 10W, not 15W..  Depends on the model of the phone.

Thank you,

Darren