cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC540 & SPA525G2 VPN issues

JOHN THIEN
Level 1
Level 1

I've been getting a UC540 running.  I have had an SPA508G configured (working great) with it and recently got an SPA525G2 which I intended to setup as my first remote phone.

The first thing I did was setup the SPA525G2 on the UC540's wireless network, and make sure I could make and take calls.  Worked great.

Then I moved on to setting up the UC540's VPN server.  Basically, I used the CCA and clicked on "VPN Server" and plugged in values I thought were appropriate.  Those values are a "Preshared key" (twice), "Starting IP address" of 10.0.0.1, and "Ending IP address" of 10.0.0.10, DNS of 208.67.222.123 and 208.67.220.123.  On the next tab I created a user account and password for the phone to use, and on the third tab I checked "Enable Internet access on remote site."  BTW, the IP address (the local IP address) of the UC540 is 192.168.10.1.

I plugged these values into the phone (except the Preshared key, shouldn't there be a place for the Preshared key on the phone?) along with the WAN address of the UC540 (which I've tested by accessing the UC540 from the WAN side, I can go home and use my Internet connection there and access the built-in web server of the 540.

But when I try to use the VPN feature of the phone, I get a message "Failed to obtain WebVPN cookie" on the phone's display.  I've tried this with, and without, naming the Tunel Group on the phone (matching the default tunel group on the 540).

I currently have the firewall on the UC540 disabled.

I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong on the VPN Server setup.  I have ignored everything under "SSL VPN" in CCA for the 540.  I did click "regenerate certificate" so I'd be able to access the 540 web server from home (before having done this I got certificate errors).

I have not upgraded the firmware on the SPA525G2.  It came with 7.4.9c.  I noticed 7.5.4 on the Cisco web site.  I would have sworn I saw the UC540 upgrade the firmware on the SPA508 automatically, so figured if a firmware upgrade was necessary on the SPA525G2, that the UC540 would have done this.  I also know that some Cisco systems use SIP and some use Cisco's own protocol, so I wasn't sure if I should be putting 7.5.4 on the SPA525G2 or not.  In any event, when I click on "Upgrade Firmware" on the phone's web page, the button to upgrade the firmware is grayed-out.

On the topic of upgrades, I had also thought the UC540 had upgraded itself when I did the initial install.  I did a "show version" and what I got is below.  Do I need to do any upgrades on the UC540?

So I know that is a lot.  I have the UC540 working pretty well.  I just need to get the VPN working so I can make the SPA525G2 that I have at home be able to access the UC540 at work.

Cisco IOS Software, UC500 Software (UC500-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.1(4)M4b, CIBU Special
Small Business Support: http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbizhelp
Copyright (c) 1986-2012 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 18-May-12 15:06 by CIBU

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(24r)SB, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

UC_540 uptime is 3 hours, 48 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload at 09:54:05 CDT Tue Mar 12 2013
System restarted at 09:54:59 CDT Tue Mar 12 2013
System image file is "flash:uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M4b"
Last reload type: Normal Reload
Last reload reason: Reload Command
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello John,

You have to enable SSL VPN full tunnel as this is the one used with SPA525G.

You may use the following guide:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9811

or the CCA admin guide.

HTH,

Alex

*Please rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Hello John,

You have to enable SSL VPN full tunnel as this is the one used with SPA525G.

You may use the following guide:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9811

or the CCA admin guide.

HTH,

Alex

*Please rate helpful posts