cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade path for UC520 to 8.6

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

Hi we've been running 12.4(22) YB4 for years and it's been rock solid. I would like to upgrade to 8.6 and want to know what the exact upgrade path is. I know it's probably a stepped install so if someone can point me to the right path I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bob James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Bob,

Sounds like getting TAC on the phone may be the quickest way to resolve this.

Otherwise, try and load cue again from the boot loader:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel3_1/installation/guide/boothelp31.html

Looks like a cf card error or a corrupt file.

Keep us updated.

Best,

David

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Bob,

From what I understand the UC500 series updates are complete upgrade packages. Either way, release notes look like your 12.4(22) YB4 is supported. IOS is up to 12.4.22-YB8.

Release notes for 8.6:

Table 6 Minimum Cisco IOS Release or Firmware Required

Device                                         

Minimum Software Release

Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series Model UC520

12.4(20)T2 or 12.4(22)YB

Hope that helps.

Best,

David

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks David, I saw the release notes I know that the move to 15 is a bit of a big one especially with CUE so I was hoping Cisco would chime in here. As well I didn't notice anything related to flash or memory, our 520 is a little older so I'm not sure what those requirements are.

Cisco?.,,,

Hi Bob,

The new ios ver has dram/flash of 256/128, but you are correct, don't see anything about hardware reqs for 8.6.

Best,

David

Please rate helpful posts

I'm just gonna go for it, will post how it turns out, or not

Bob James

Bob,

Sounds good, we'll be here in case you run into trouble. Don't forget to back up!!

Best,

David

Please rate helpful posts

Alright, validation passes, install fails. Error: Install failed reason = Voicemail software installtion failed.'

I am using CCA 3.2.1

I confirmed no other TFTP server running and I'm trying it again with Symantec off. I also opened a TAC case to get that process started. I see I can install just the voicemail software through CCA, but I don't see an image on Cisco,

I though this might be an issue as I am going from 7.0.3 to 8.6.3 of the voicemail software, I'm guessing there is an interim step I have to upgrade it to,,,,

We'll see.

Bob James

Bob,

I see you're using the latest CCA, so that shouldn't be the problem. Have you verified connectivity b/w cue and the pc (ping works?)  Is there space on the flash?

Please attach the output of Help > Support Information > Troubleshooting Log taken after you attempt the upgrade.

Best,

David

Please rate helpful post

Yes i can contact Cue, "Javinder" from TAC says I just need to install the IOS on the 520 and reboot; rolleyes, I can see this is going to take a while to fix.....

Spoke too soon, can't get into CUE now, can even ping the service-engine from the UC itself. Not sure where to take this. Going back to TAC on it.

I can get in to CUE but ti keeps rebooting in kernel panic:

ReiserFS: hda1: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal

ReiserFS: hda1: using ordered data mode

ReiserFS: hda1: journal params: device hda1, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30

ReiserFS: hda1: checking transaction log (hda1)

ReiserFS: hda1: Using r5 hash to sort names

VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.

mount_devfs_fs(): unable to mount devfs, err: -2

Warning: unable to open an initial console.

Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

Stuck here.      

Hi Bob,

Sounds like getting TAC on the phone may be the quickest way to resolve this.

Otherwise, try and load cue again from the boot loader:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel3_1/installation/guide/boothelp31.html

Looks like a cf card error or a corrupt file.

Keep us updated.

Best,

David

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Yeah TAC was useless...

Basically emailed me the same link you did and said have at er.

I was able to get the files up to CUE so at least it got booted. Once I I was missing some stuff so I restored from the previous backup. Then CUE went away... I was fiannly able to get into it and it was in offline mode. I had to reload and make sure everything was there and went through testing everything.

So far so good!

Now I can start testing out some of the features we have been waiting two years on

Thanks for your help!!

Bob James

I've tried doing the same ugprade scenario, moving from 7.0.3 -> 8.6 and it did not go well. When I tried upgrading with a software pack using the CCA it stalled on the voicemail part and returned an error. After that I upgraded only the IOS with success. When trying to upgrade just voicemail I got an error stating that it could not get the CUE into bootloader mode.

I figured I could put it in bootloader mode by myself and restarted the upgrade process. After about 30 minutes the process once again halted with errors. This time it had moved one step further and now the error read a generic "Error: Install failed reason = Voicemail software installtion failed." and the service engine reloaded without being upgraded.

Is there a way to upgrade it using CLI? I've got a feeling that CCA is hiding something from me thats keeping me from upgrading the box.

And yes, this box has a service contract but at the time I'm not psyched about chatting on the phone with Jordan for the 3-5 days it would take them to resolve the issue.

See my post above, I manually got the files into CUE then rebooted it. It came up in offline mode so I had to force it online. You have to keep trying to get into it via command line as there is only a small window that will let you in. Once in turn it to online mode. I then recovered from backup and everything worked.

Bob James