cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WIP310 Fails To Re-Register.

juunda
Level 1
Level 1

Customer has several WIP310 connected wirelessly to an accesspoint and then to a internal PBX Tribox V2.6.22. Using Teliax ITSP.

The phones work great for a while but randomly fail to re-register. The only way for it to work again is to power cycle the device.   Customer has tried three diferent access point in order to elimate the possibility of bad wireless connectivity. Has latest firmware 5.0.11

Please advice in any way possible thanks in advance.
233 Replies 233

Yep, we hope the sam.

We solve some problems, but we have also a lot of dropps while we speak on the phone. Some times the phone is powered off. The most time, when we take it from the charger - the red led begins to flash.

cu ivo

Hello,

Any official information from CISCO?

We are about to start a project in a big place with 45 Units of WIP310.

In our lab test we experience same errors:
-Power offs with battery

-De-Register random

We are trying workarounds explained in this thread, but after reading all of this ... I m thinking about cancel this project or change WiFi Phone to a different vendor.

Hopefully, we have bought only one.

Are there phones from another vendor?

We just find DECT phones.

gorka.irontec
Level 1
Level 1

Hello tiagoaviz,

Excellent news !!!!

Wich firmware finally are you using ?

I will test this tomorrow in my office lab and provide full info here.

By the way, Im not sure, but I think that I ve also try in open network (no wep, no wpa) without success (but not sure).

Tomorrow morning more info,

Thanks!

Hello Gorka,

I have one phone on 5.0.12 and all others on 5.0.11. On the 5.0.11 Phones, Remember to set on the sip tab, as noted from another post, to change everywhere that has $VERSION for something else (I've put WIP310).

I also disabled all functions that weren't necessary such as provisioning, call waiting, etc etc... But this is not the main focus of the issue, just complementary.

I'm using G.711u, and I disabled G729 since I don't use it here.

Hope this helps you out..

I have all of the same symptoms described here. Generally it starts with obvious packet loss, followed by a dropped call and then the phone reconnecting to the wireless. I've adjusted the timers and settings discussed here without much help. Where can I find 5.0.12 firmware?

Brian,

Did you try to reduce the WPA key length? That's exactly what used to happen with me.

5.0.12 firmware does not help on that issue at all. All my WIP310 are 5.0.11 running smoothly.

It appears that the little WIP310 can't handle the encryption if they key is too long.. it starts to send scrambled packets, as if its CPU couldn't take care of all the job. I diagnosed this thru the Cisco Wireless Lan controller 2106.

Rekeying interval also doesn't change a thing. It'll drop calls way before the rekey interval has reached.

I did change the key to an 8 char WPA2-Personal key and this doesn't seem to have solved the problem completely.

ben1martin2
Level 1
Level 1

I to am having huge problems with these phones, i've tried all the suggested methods in this thread.

i've setup ping logs on all phones and had them running for a couple of hours, just to monitor them. some phones can go and work perfrect but other times you will be on the phones and then the call will be dropped. If i go back to the ping logs and watch what happens the phone gets ping then will get to the stage where its un reachable for about 2 sec and then the phone call is dropped.

Tried lowering the WPA ket to a length of 5, and even removed it all together. It was originally setup going through an NetComm NB9W, i have also replaced this with a Dlink DAP-1350.

Still no Joy

louis-david
Level 1
Level 1

I have the exact issue as described by JulianZhong at the beginning of this thread... the impossibility to get the WIP310 and the asterisk server to agree on an nonce value for digest authentication, which results into a registration failure. (I have a nice and clear wireshark capture of that).

It was hapenning randomly, but often... about one third of each time I take a look on the phone.

I can't really blame my wireless here, but rather my ISP, since it's impossible to get better than 70ms from here and my PBX, which is hosted.

So I just upgraded the phone to 5-0-12-12-14-2009 to see if it will fix the problem. I haven't changed any settings up to now, I'll check if it works.

Keeping you posted.

Thanks

BriainWilson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks

I've just bought a WIP310 for use with my DrayTEL SIP account and I've read the 12 pages here with great interest.

When looking at the WIP310 general Info page, it shows Ext 1 status as registered okay, but next registration is never more than about 28 seconds (sometimes even 20s). Is this normal; I'd expect it to be more like the 3600s as set in the ‘Register Expires’ section of Ext 1? I'm obviously concerned as if my understanding is correct, this might mean it's hitting the DrayTEL SIP registration server every 28 seconds and that is bound to seriously upset Draytel; I hope they don't chuck me off their network tomorrow morning for being a resources hooligan. :)

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?

Notes:

WIP310 with current 5.0.11 firmware

Cisco AIR-AP1252AG-E-K9 with IOS 12.4(21a)JA1
Draytek 2820Vn with firmware 3.3.3 (and wireless disabled)
Netgear 16 port switch.

I Tried test firmware (5.0.12) but it still registers every 28 seconds (often less). Out of interest, 5.0.12 also has a wee bug where it doesn't permit you to store the daylight saving string (start=4/1/7/0:0:0;end=10/31/7/0:0:0); I've reverted to the latest official release of 5.0.11 for now.

Kind regards, Briain

Hi

This has nothing to do with the above question, but it's an entertaining little footnote nevertheless:

My Draytek 2820Vn has a built in SIP facility which is registered to the same SIP account as the WIP310 (I use the former for my physically wired office phone, and the WIP310 for answering calls in my lounge). I was finding that the WIP310 was being activated by an incoming call when in the cradle, but not when sitting out of the cradle and eventually realised that the Draytek SIP was negotiating with the provider before the WIP310 has a chance to be re-activated from 'sleep' mode.

I had recently been experimenting using the Cisco AP as a DHCP server, and when I put things back to normal (and use the Draytek as my DHCP server) I simply uploaded a previous AP config file. Unfortunately, I accidentally uploaded an old experimental file which had the beacon rate set to 800 Kusec and the DTIM to 1 (normal is 100 and 2) and it took a while to work out what was going wrong (the AP has been set like that for a month but nothing else I have would have 'noticed' it as a problem) .

I've now set the beacon rate to 200 Kusec and DTIM to 1 and the WIP310 now works a treat; I'll see how far I can push them back before the Draytek kicks in and the beason/DTIM timings prevent the WIP310 being activated; I'll report them here in case anyone is interested.

All I need do now is figure out ths issue in my previous post (why the WIP310 is registering every <28s) and I'll be in business.

Bri :)

Hi

I would be able to provide you with a more accurate answer looking at the SIP traces on when the Registration occurs, but i'll give it a try anyway :-).

I presume that it's not an issue with the WIP310 since the re-registration timer is set by the network (DrayTel) in the expire header coming in the 200OK message after a successful registration. That timer takes precedence to the one suggested by the phone in the Register message (3600s) so again, I can only presume that the value coming in the expire header in the 200OK is set to 30s on purpose by DrayTel, and that's the reason the WIP310 is overriding its own timer to accomodate to the one provided by the network, hence the re-registratin occuring in a shorter period.

In any case, that will be very easy to double check it by looking at the network traces.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

-nacho

Hello Nacho

Thank you very much for the swift response and that's very interesting about the 200OK message; I simply wasn't aware of that and it is very useful to know (I'll try to find more info and gain a complete understanding of the SIP handshaking processes).

I also sent an email to DrayTEL to ask them if they know why this might be happening (just in case it's something bizzare to do with me having the Draytek SIP and 310 SIP both set up and causing some odd 'handshake hysteresis' problem). I've also sent them a picture of my settings (numbers obscured) so that (assuming they agree with them) they can put it on the DryTEL web page to show others how to configure the 310.

I'll do some more digging then let you know when I get to the bottom of it.

Many thanks again for the response! :)

Briain

Update (13:46):

I've had a response from DrayTEL and the answer implies that the 200 OK is not set that low:

We think that a expiry timeout set to something like 10 minutes would be adequate. For usage behind some NAT devices a lower timeout is needed if the NAT device is prone to closing the NAT session aggressively. 20 seconds seems rather low though, for NAT devices that close NAT sessions quite rapidly we find that 60 seconds is typically ok. A potential disadvantage of a 1 hour timeout could be if the Internet connection provided by the ISP is dynamic and if the IP happens to change then incoming calls wouldn't be possible until the phone re-registers.

That maybe then implies it's either a WIP310 setting, or a Draytek 2820Vn problem, or maybe a conflicting response between created by having the two of them registered to the same SIP account? I'll try to find someone with network analyser software (I no longer have such luxuries available after leaving my previous company) and have a closer look at what might be going on.