cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error during Save on Initial Setup

therzog1
Level 1
Level 1

New UC320W.  After considerable effort I was able to upgarde the frimware to v2.0.6 (from 2.0.1).  This save issue occurs in both the old and new firmware.

During the initial setup wizzard:

• I am able to save the configuration to my local hard drive.
  • Attempts to manually save ("SAVE" button on upper right corner) to the device results in a hung browser (reboot UC320W required to reset)
  • During "Auto-Saves" I recieve the following error message dialog boxes.
    • System Error: Failed to write configuration file.  Are you sure you want to proceed? [OK]
    • System Error: Error validating dynamicconfig.xml&instance=&user=admin&xpassword=abc&xsession=1303965270320@@50 error:Validator::OnGetErrorexceeded maximum attempts to authenticate or retrieve file.  Are you sure you want to proceed? [OK]
      • Note that the "&user=admin" is NOT the user I entered during the initial phase of setup (but I would think that it should reflect my entered value), BUT the "&xpassword" DOES refelect the password I entered.  Is there a bug/artifact here that is not picking up my new login id?
      • Also, the &xsession look suspicially like an phone (1-303-695-2703)  (maybe just a coincidence)
    • System Error: Error in HTTP post in Backend Exceeded Retrys: error #2032 url=http://192.168.10.1/admin/cif:file=cfg/misc/_slot1&instance=&xuser=admin&xpassword=abc&xsession=1303965270320@@100 .  Are you sure you want to proceed? [OK]
      • The IP address 192.168.10.1 is the correct IP for the unit.
    • Session Save Failed.  Session save failed. Retry? [YES] [NO]

And at the final "Apply ALL Changes"  (step 48 of 49) I recieve the following errors:

• System Error: Authentication failed, admin **** WS_ApplyConfig  Are you sure you want to proceed? [OK]
    • Again, aparent wrong user id in error message

Also, neither USB port appears to function.  My USB  thumb drive has some LED's on it and they do not illuminate in either port.  During the initial setup wizard at the "Backup Options" section, it says that there is no drive in either port even when one has been inserted.

I have done several "Factory Resets" with no change in behavior.

During this setup, I have just my notebook connected to Port 4 and the UC320. No connection to the WAN port. WiFi disabled on the UC320.WiFi disabled on my notebook (corporate LAN on 192.168.10.0/24 subnet with existing host at 192.168.10.1)

What now?

6 Replies 6

Hi,

Can you please provide some more details on the events that took place before arriving at this state?

1. When the unit was first unboxed, was the first step performed to upgrade the unit or was it configured first and then upgraded?
  2. When you performed the upgrade, was it via the Cloud pop up dialog window or did you do it from Status -> Devices -> Upgrade from PC?
  3. Has the WAN been unplugged the whole time?

All of the problems are pointing to a authentication problem.  Can you go to the System Access page and change both the username and password, then log out and see if you still get the errors?

1. If that doesn't work, connect the WAN port to the internet.
  2. Download the UC320W 2.0.6(10) firmware from Cisco.com.  Ensure the file size is correct. 
  3. Press and hold the factory reset button for 20 seconds. 
  4. Launch web browser.
  5. Set the new user / password
  6. Proceed through the steps until the Status menu appears at the top.
  7. Click Status -> Devices -> Upgrade from PC    and upgrade to the 2.0.6(10)

If you are still having problems, please contact the SBSC to get a case opened, referencing this discussion.

Thanks,

Chris

1. When the unit was first unboxed, was the first step performed to upgrade the unit or was it configured first and then upgraded?
  • Initial power on was with WAN cable attached and followed initial configuration wizard (even watched the video). 
  • At the network config, I set a static IP (192.168.10.60 – internal LAN is 192.168.10.0/24).
  • At the firmware upgrade, it failed to connect to the firmware download server. 
  • I then skipped that step and continued forward with the configuration.  During that config process I was unable to save (error already documented).  Some attempt after that, I did a factory reset with same results. 
  • Also tried DHCP WAN config  ( would successfully get 192.168.10.163).  One attempt (after I manually downloaded the 2.0.6 firmware) it magically got the firmware from the cloud and installed it successfully and rebooted.  Even with new FW, save issues persist.

2. When you performed the upgrade, was it via the Cloud pop up dialog window or did you do it from Status -> Devices -> Upgrade from PC?

• See above. Ended up being from the cloud, but not after multiple failed download attempts (failed to connect).

3. Has the WAN been unplugged the whole time?

• No, tried both under the assumption that the 192.168.10.1 address was conflicting with our inter server at 192.168.10.1. Same behavior with WAN connected/disconnected

4. All of the problems are pointing to a authentication problem.  Can you go to the System Access page and change both the username and password, then log out and see if you still get the errors?

• Does not work.  Gives errors that it cannot save data when you try to logout.  Then gets stuck in a loop.

1. If that doesn't work, connect the WAN port to the internet.

2. Download the UC320W 2.0.6(10) firmware from Cisco.com.  Ensure the file size is correct. 

3. Press and hold the factory reset button for 20 seconds. 

4. Launch web browser.

5. Set the new user / password

6. Proceed through the steps until the Status menu appears at the top.

7. Click Status -> Devices -> Upgrade from PC    and upgrade to the 2.0.6(10)

• Tried for the 100th time. Still fails.
  • On my last attempt to download FW, I was back to my original issue where it cannot connect to the cloud.

Other notes:

• Tested with both IE and FireFox.  Both fail.
  • Upgrade to current Flash playber, No change
  • Several times during the install process, I hear the relay click inside the unit. (not at times you would expect, like after a reset)

Hello again,

One thing that stands out is the network addresses.  The UC320W by default sets the data (VLAN) network to 192.168.10.x/24.  If you plug the WAN into a 192.168.10.x network while the LAN is 192.168.10.x we have broken a fundamental rule of routers.  The WAN and LAN interfaces have to be on different networks.

Is your PC by chance dual-homed, meaning connected directly (Ethernet/WiFi) to both the UC320W LAN side and the existing data network?

Let's try this:

• Unplug all network connections to the UC320W
  • Factory Reset for 20 seconds
  • Connect PC ONLY to the UC320 LAN side port.
  • Leave WAN configured for DHCP
  • See if you can proceed through the configuration until you reach the LAN screen (without plugging in any other network devices).
  • Change the LAN Data VLAN to a subnet other than 192.168.10.x, say 192.168.80.x
  • Finish all the day 0 provisioning ( you may have to create a temporary user and assign to the FXS port)
  • Apply
  • After the box reboots you will have to update your IP on your PC and relaunch using your new network address (192.168.80.1)
  • After the box comes up plug the WAN into your existing network, plug in all the other network devices (phones, PCs, and gateways)
  • Wait 5 minutes for system to update config files on all the devices
  • Now you should be able to set your WAN to a static address and revisit all the other screens to configure voice services.

Chris

I am thiking that my unit is defective.

I reflashed using the file I downloaded last night (via website, not cloud).  Installed OK, rebooted OK, Started install process.

Everything NORMAL unitl I start the actual configuration.  As soon as I leave the "Getting Started" page, the unit starts an AutoSave.

Almost immediately

• the reset relay clicks
  • All (or at least most) for the front pannel leds flash on (maybe .5 secods) then all lights off
  • The Power led starts flashing and continues for almost a minute.

All this looks like a system reset which would zap the login credentials.  So now the broswer has new credentials and the unit is reset back to defaults.

If a bad firmware is doing this, then I have (2) bad firmware copies (one cloud, one web download)

As to multi-homing. I thought about that too and DISABLED the WiFi NIC.  I suspect tha the time I got the firmware to download was via the notebook WiFi

Well?

Hi,

I'm sending you a private message to try and help you offline.

Thanks,

Jeff

Issue RESOLVED.

Thanks for all the help Jeff.

Resolution:

• Our corporate LAN is 192.168.10.0/24
  • The UC320 WAN port was plugged into our LAN (e.g. will get a 192.168.10.xxx address from corp LAN DHCP)
  • IF you select "UC320W Routes Voice and Data with External DHCP server" during the configuraton the UC320 will reset and be hung
    • UC320 will require factory reset to being back to life  (Hold RESET button for 20 seconds)
  • WHY: In the factory default configuration, the UC320 LAN subnet is 192.168.10.0/24 which is also the same subnet the WAN port is on.  The UC320 is a router so when both the LAN and WAN are on the 192.168.10.0/24 subnet, routing loops occur.
  • WORKAROUND
    • During initial setup
    • UC320 WAN port disconnected
    • Select Topology "UC320 Routes Voice and Data"
    • In Network --> LAN --> Data VLAN change change the IP Address for another subnet (e.g. 192.168.80.1).
    • After applying changes you will have to change your browser IP adddress to the value entered above.
    • Reconnect the UC320 WAN cable to your 192.168.10.0/24 network
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: