cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Good free/cheap sound editor for .au and wav files

danielwiebe
Level 1
Level 1

Like the title says what does everyone use for sound file conversions and editing...

I've had several customers provide me with MP3 files that need to be converted to .au or wav and also cleaned up a bit before upload to the UC500. I used a trial version of NCH's sound converter and wavepad sound editor with good results but it's quite expensive and has a ton of bells and whisltes that I don't need.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Platts
Level 4
Level 4

I have used Audacity to convert MoH files to the 8000 Hz G.711 codec required by the UC500 system. Audacity can be downloaded at http://audacity.sourceforge.net.

You need to do the following to export your MP3 or WAV music on hold file as a 8000 Hz G.711 audio file in Audacity:

1. Set the Project Rate to 8000 Hz. The Project Rate can be found in the bottom left hand corner of the Audacity window.
  2. Export the file by choosing Export... from the File Menu.
  3. In the Export File dialog box, be sure to select Other compressed files under Save as type. Click the Options button, and be sure to select either AU or WAV as the header and U-Law as the encoding.
  4. Be sure that an AU file is exported with an .au extension and a WAV file is exported with a .wav extension.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

John Platts
Level 4
Level 4

I have used Audacity to convert MoH files to the 8000 Hz G.711 codec required by the UC500 system. Audacity can be downloaded at http://audacity.sourceforge.net.

You need to do the following to export your MP3 or WAV music on hold file as a 8000 Hz G.711 audio file in Audacity:

1. Set the Project Rate to 8000 Hz. The Project Rate can be found in the bottom left hand corner of the Audacity window.
  2. Export the file by choosing Export... from the File Menu.
  3. In the Export File dialog box, be sure to select Other compressed files under Save as type. Click the Options button, and be sure to select either AU or WAV as the header and U-Law as the encoding.
  4. Be sure that an AU file is exported with an .au extension and a WAV file is exported with a .wav extension.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: