cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA502G Headset Headache

OldSchoolTechie
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to run a binaural Sennheiser PC3 Headset off a SPA502G.

The  remote party reports being echoed to itself; I can confirm that my voice sounds crackling and overdriven when testing with my mobile.(Speaking into the headset mic with the iPhone running hands free)

I am having only monaural sound (right side).

The headset is connected to a Sennheiser PVC05 Y-Adaptor and this then runs into a reduction piece to make it fit into the 2,5 jack on the base unit. Well, I guess the PC03 is a standard / generic headset, is there anything electrical I should watch out for ? It works with excellent quality and no issues on a PC. I tried tweaking various headset level parameters in the phone at no avail.

The software on the 502 is current.

Daniel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Acoustic echo may be caused by poor acoustic isolation between the earpiece and the microphone in handsets and hands-free devices. It may be suppressed later by electronic echo canceller. I'm unsure the SPA502 have the embedded one.

Also, impedance mismatch can cause issues. PC headsets are rather low impedance. Read Headphone Impedance Explained for technical details.

Microphone should be the one with noise cancelling feature.

Ask support center for the list of supported headsets.

Or see something like this or this (no warranty the information on those sites are perfect).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Acoustic echo may be caused by poor acoustic isolation between the earpiece and the microphone in handsets and hands-free devices. It may be suppressed later by electronic echo canceller. I'm unsure the SPA502 have the embedded one.

Also, impedance mismatch can cause issues. PC headsets are rather low impedance. Read Headphone Impedance Explained for technical details.

Microphone should be the one with noise cancelling feature.

Ask support center for the list of supported headsets.

Or see something like this or this (no warranty the information on those sites are perfect).

That sounds like an answer. Have ordered the HW261 now, let's see what the outcome is.

Thanks Dan, much appreciated.

This is just  to confirm that the HW261 works like a charm, straight out of the box without issues. Brilliant sound quality and very light to wear, even for marathon telcos over several hours.

Glad to hear you solved the issue.

And thanks for the feedback.