cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect 4.4.03034 keeps disconnecting

hboswell
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Windows 10 laptops, on the same network, both using Anyconnect 4.4.03034 to connect to VPN to the same remote network. One works fine;  the other will connect and then disconnect within 30 seconds or so, over and over.  So I'm assuming there is some setting on that laptop that isn't right.  Where should I look to fix this thing?

Harry

12 Replies 12

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You may see a message under the AnyConnect details (Gear icon on the system tray UI). Look under the Message History tab.

If you have the DART (Diagnostics and Reporting Tool) module installed, there will also be a button for "Diagnostics..." on the details screen. That will gather a lot more information that can be examined or submitted to TAC for troubleshooting if you have a support contract.

Among the messages DART collects are Windows Application Event Logs. You can examine those manually using Windows Event Viewer.

Sorry - I've been out of the country - still having the problem, but there are no messages in the event logs.  I don't have the DART tool - we don't have a support contract, our client provides the Cisco software - so I'm not exactly how to proceed (I've asked the client if they can push the tool out to me).  Any other ideas on what's going on, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Harry

I've dug a little deeper, and what's happening isn't exactly what I initially thought...

I connect to the vpn server.  Then I use Windows Remote Desktop to connect to the machine.  Sometimes it’s one of the servers at one client site, sometimes it’s a desktop at a different site, but through the same vpn server.  The same thing happens in either case.  VPN still shows connected, but Remote Desktop connects, then within 30-60 seconds disconnects, and won’t reconnect on its own.  I have to close RDP and connect again – and the same thing happens. So it appears that vpn isn't disconnecting, but something is causing RDP to disconnect.

This only happens with my new work laptop.  My old work laptop connects and stays connected.  My personal laptop at home connects and stays connected. (All are Windows 10 – the problem one is W10 Pro, the others are W10 Home.  All have the same Anyconnect client)

Also – If I use RDP to connect to a server here at the office (without VPN), it stays connected.  And if I connect from home to our office VPN using the Fortinet client, it stays connected.  The problem only happens on this one laptop, with the Cisco Anyconnect client.  I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times, with no success.

Harry

thomas.luebke
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

do you have Hyper-V enabled on the machine that keeps reconnecitng? I have exactly the same issue with my machine, after disabling Hyper-V everything runs fine.

Just raised a TAC case for this.

No.  And it suddenly stopped disconnecting soon after my last comment, and worked fine for over a month.  Then I went through a few days where it was disconnecting again, now it's working fine again.  So I suspect it's something upstream from me.  I've given up pursuing it with the support people on that network, I'll just hope it's solid now.

Hi, Thomas

sorry for replying to this "older" thread

Did you ever find a solution to the problem, other than removing the Hyper-v feature?

thanks in advance

-Kenneth

In my case, it just stopped happening, as mysteriously as it began.  I could never pin down why it was happening, or why it stopped - although I suspect some configuration change was made at the host network.  

Harry

Hi,

not a solution but a workaround. The error occurs if you have a split exclude configuration. If you do not tunnel all traffic it works.

Reason being that full tunneling changes the default route on the client. Once this happens The vSwitch cuts the connection and hence anyconnect cannot reach the ASA any more and tries to reconnect. This runs in a constant circle.

TAC support confirmed this behaviour is by design, we are talking to MS currently to find a solution.

As a workaround we tunnel internal networks only, but this is not perfect from a security point of view.

A possible option would be tunneling 1.0.0.0/1 and 128.0.0.0/1 - that's the whole internet  but won't change the default route (I haven't tested this yet, though).

I know this is old but I had the same issue and it was resolved by switching my internet connection from public to private.

This is bad advice.  The network profiles help Windows understand what type of network you are connect to and set the appropriate security settings.  Setting the internet to private indicates you trust the internet like you trust your LAN.  

Hello Support, all the new laptops m setting up Dell 5510 and 5790 any new laptop with Windows 10 pro installing Cisco Any connnect 4.8 and 4.9 and also installing Cisco Any connect before user logon also installed having same problem only happening new image laptop. Please help ASAP, if any one know solution Cisco VPN disconnect after an hour automatically. 

Please let me know what’s the solution, I had same user with two different laptops, old laptop is fine, the new laptop having the issue.