Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect and session timeout

ehermansen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a client that wants to disconnect VPN after 8 hours. This works fine with session timeout.

Problem is that if someone is working with connections and or tunnels they will be disconnected. So is it possible to get a warning one hour before the session gets terminated with possibility to "reauthenticate" without terminating the session.

Anyone knows if this is possible? I know it works on Checkpoint :)

Thanks..

8 Replies 8

Yes you can do it. Here is the configuration

group-policy test-group attributes
vpn-session-timeout 480
vpn-session-timeout alert-interval 10

This will timeout the session after 8 hours and the user will get alert 10
mins before termination. Max is 30 mins , i.e. the user gets notification
30 mins before timeout.

**** Remember to rate useful posts.

Thanks. But he will just get a warning and can not reauthenticate? He will still be kicked out..? 

Yes will be kicked out. Idle timeout doesn't have alerting. Only session
timeout has

Any help on seeing a popup message?

I never get a popup type message indicating my session is about to end in x minutes. Rather the AnyConnect VPN client 'green check mark symbol' changes to a 'yellow exclamation mark'. I'd prefer a popup message stating my connection is about to end in x minutes.

AnyConnect version testing with - 4.8.03052 and 4.9.03049

ASA OS - 9.12(3)12

ASDM ver - 7.13(1)

Current config under group-policy I am assigned -

group-policy xxxx attributes
vpn-session-timeout 15
vpn-session-timeout alert-interval 10

We have an Enhancement raised for this requirement and it seems to be fixed in Cisco Secure Client 5.0.x as per my testing. Expecting this Enhancement will soon be updated with fixed release ( as an official announcement )  

ENH :- https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwe83079

JG1978
Level 1
Level 1

This won't give a warning but is another work around.

The session timeout can be applied per Group Policy so a separate policy would allow different timeout values.

If you set the default group policy to "unlimited" and then create a new group policy for the client that wishes to disconnect after 8 hours, uncheck "inherit" under session timeout and pick the value you want.

Hope that helps!

aninayak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Below should help achieve this requirement

group-policy test-group attributes
vpn-session-timeout <lifetime>
vpn-session-timeout alert-interval <timeout-value> <--- You can specify a range of 1-30 minutes.

For details refer below link 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa92/configuration/vpn/asa-vpn-cli/vpn-groups.html