cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect Failed to get configuration from AnyConnect Client Process.

Over the last few weeks, computers at my org have been unable to connect to the VPN.

These computers had been working fine previously... for instance, connecting fine on Friday, on Monday when the user tries to connect, they get the error : Anyconnect Failed to get configuration from AnyConnect Client Process. Contact your systems administrator.

this will present itself several times before it finally gives up and then displays the error: AnyConnect was not able to establish a connection to the specified secure gateway. Please try connecting again.

We have thousands of other users successfully connecting through AnyConnect but these machines will not.

We have completely removed anyconnect and all the profile data in %localappdata% and %programdata% 

We've verified network connectivity and the ability to resolve DNS to our anyconnect appliance.

We've removed and re-installed the user certificates used for Anyconnect authentication.

We've tried using alternate internet connections to rule out ISP issues.

I can't find much about this specific error online but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas that might be helpful.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wanted to post our resolution:

After several days of digging, one of my associates pinned down the problem.

A recent update to Windows Defender apparently changed the location of some files.

On the systems unable to connect with the error listed in my first post this folder was empty:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform

To resolve the issue, we applied Update for Windows Defender Antivirus antimalware platform - KB4052623 (Version 4.18.2001.10) 

We're still looking to see what these systems have in common.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Look over to which Microsoft updates have been pushed over to those clients; some latest Microsoft KB are known to create several random issues. Try removing those first and see how it goes.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

I've been digging through the event viewer and trying to compare the logs from computer A (working and connected) and computer B (not connecting).  I am the user on both machines.

Unfortunately, one is 1909 and the other 1803 (not working).  The vast majority of our machines are running 1803 and get updates pushed through SCCM.

Hi,

Try to have the same patch level on a not-working machine as on a working machine. See if it gets fixed.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Not really optional at this point.

My machine is on 1909 to 'test' before it's pushed out.

The majority of our clients are still 1803 and only a handful of computers are having this issue.

It's scattered around the country and I haven't been able to put my finger on what they all have in common.

I do have Dart logs from one of the machines I was working on today. 

I'm just not sure I can unravel what the logs are telling me. 

Wanted to post our resolution:

After several days of digging, one of my associates pinned down the problem.

A recent update to Windows Defender apparently changed the location of some files.

On the systems unable to connect with the error listed in my first post this folder was empty:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform

To resolve the issue, we applied Update for Windows Defender Antivirus antimalware platform - KB4052623 (Version 4.18.2001.10) 

We're still looking to see what these systems have in common.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: