Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect with Computer certificate authentication

KevinYounil1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have successfully implemented Anyconnect in our network, I am using user certificates and ACS for authentication. I face an issue when I try to use computer certificate instead of user certificate for authentication. I should mention that I have tested following options in any connect client profile:

Certificate Store: All and Machine

Certificate Store Override enabled.

Has anyone any idea about that?

8 Replies 8

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Could you provide details on the issue you are facing? Are you getting any particular error message or is it not picking up the certificate from the machine store? 

Hi Rahul,

It's like there isn't any valid certificate on the client, I get this error message when I change Certificate Store to Machine.

11611-config-double-authen-06.png

Can you look in your machine and make sure that your machine download the
anyconnect profile with machine certificate setting

Hi Mohammad,

Yes I did, it is downloading the new profile and setting shows store has been set to Machine.

Are you logged in and attempting to connect to the VPN as a non-admin user? Only an administrator can access the local certificate store. Quick test, open an MMC attempt to add the certificate snap-in, if you can only select "Certificates - Current User" then the user you are logged in as is a non-admin user and cannot access the computer certificate store.

FYI, In my lab, I am using a machine certificate with AnyConnect VPN client and this works fine, however I'm logged in using an administrator.

HTH

No I am Admin on the client and able to see the computer certificate. Does getting authenticated with user certificate mean that certificate configuration is correct on ASA? I mean trustpoints, . . .

has anyone any guide to verify the steps for certificate authentication?

Hi!

This is an old topic, but I suspect you do not have the ROOT CA which has signed the Machine Cert in your Appliance/ACS (not sure how your ACS policies are for Auth/Authorization - but certificates are usually verified on the appliance level and then the cert attributes are extracted, mapped and sent to ACS/ISE for validation against an identity store). Make sure you look for the gateway logs and you should see there the reasons.

HTH.