cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can traffic sourced from router be encrypted?

mister-daniel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

Is it possible to have router to router traffic encrypted (or host to router) when the routers are themselves the VPN endpoints - or is it only possible to encrypt traffic which passes through an IPSEC router? For example, I wish to ping a loopback on a router configured for IPSEC and I want the echo-request and echo-reply encrypted (for testing). When I try this from a host 'behind' the 'first' IPSEC router the echo request is encrypted as the traffic is passed; however, the echo-reply from the pinged 'second' IPSEC router fails to encrypt (IKE phase 2 fails).

Thanks in Advance

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes it is possible to have router to router traffic encrypted and protected by IPSec. I have done a number of IPSec implementations and it has worked for me.

If the ping going over does get encrypted but the ping response does not get encrypted, I would think it sounds like the access list which identifies the traffic to be encrypted on the second router is not a close match to the list on the first router. Perhaps you can post the configurations of both routers and we might be able to identify the problem better.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick