cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AnyConnect System Extension Blocked, No Allow Button Under Security Preferences

PaulDhamii00526
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I recently installed the 'Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client' for my MacBook (OS: High Sierra 10.13.6). 

Multiple windows of 'System Extension Blocked' are popping up, with the information that 'A program tried to load new system extension(s) signed by Cisco.' If then prompts me to enable the extensions by going to my Security Preferences panel. However, when I go there, there is now 'Allow' button like there should be under the 'Security and Privacy' panel.

Can anyone please provide info as to how I can enable these extensions?

Thank you.

22 Replies 22

Hi,

You need to update your anyconnect client to a version which is compatible with OSX security features. Some extensions used in older AnyConnect versions (4.6/4.7) are deferred by new OSX updates. On a side note, anyconnect will continue to work as these extensions won't impact its operation.

Its strange that you don't get allow for Cisco in security preferences. It should list it for your to allow.

**** please remember to rate useful posts

I am having the same issue.  Since upgrading to Big Sur, when I startup my Mac, I get a message that the Cisco System Extension is blocked and I need to enable the system extension, but there is no allow button.  I tried updating Cisco AnyConnect, even reinstalling it, and I definitely have the latest version.  AnyConnect still seems to do what I need it to do.  I gather Cisco hasn't caught up with Big Sur yet.  I would appreciate even some code to paste in my terminal window to disable the annoying popup.

I am having the exact same issue after upgrading to Big Sur. Cannot be enabled to allow.

I also noted that my Macbook Pro battery got drained much faster than running previous OS versions. I wonder if anyone else had similar experiences on battery issues after upgrading to Big Sur?

brianaveni
Level 1
Level 1

Try installing the latest version of Cisco AnyConnect.

I was experiencing the same issue on my Mac after upgrading to Big Sur. But after uninstalling Cisco AnyConnect (v.4.8.03036) and installing the latest release (v.4.9.04043), I was presented with the Allow button within the Security & Privacy panel.

Thank you! I had uninstalled the version I had and installed the latest version from my University's website, but I will make sure I have that version and report back.

Thanks. But it appears that the latest release is not FREE to download? Do you or does anyone has the link to the FREE download of v.4.9.04043 for Mac?

No, I couldn’t download the update, so I put in a request for our IS team to upgrade the version they deploy for us.

My. problem, too.

I dont' have a contract with Cisco so I cannot download the latest version

I removed my older AnyConnect as I no longer use it (used an installer application) but this extension must still be somewhere in my library or system . I cannot find it to remove it,

I cannot authorize it because without the latest version of the software there is no way to make this   Blocked Extension message go away

Why doesn't Cisco provide a way to remove this security extension if no longer needed ?

Update: Success! My organization’s IT group responded and gave me access to the most up to date version of Cisco AnyConnect, which they had not yet tested/deployed generally. This time I was able to allow the extension and I’m no longer getting the annoying messages.

Wonderful! Glad for you. I hate that constant pop up telling me to authorize something I cannot do

But what do we folks do who have no access to the most updated version of AnyConnect?

I've this issue too 

AlBoss55415
Level 1
Level 1

I have OS 11 Big Sur, and Cisco AnyConnect v.4.9.04043, and upon install I did click the "Allow system extension" option in my Security & Privacy settings. So, everything seems right. However, upon startup I continue to get the alert about needing to approve the extension, even though I have already done so and there is no longer anything to approve in the settings.

I suspect this is a legacy issue caused by some artifact of a previous version of AnyConnect. Running the bundled Cisco uninstall AnyConnect app and then reinstalling v.4.9.04043 does not make the alert go away.

I realize that AnyConnect is still working fine, and that this is not so much an issue as it is an annoyance--but it is one I would like to solve before other members of my team upgrade their operating system since the message will freak them out.

Any suggestions, terminal commands, or specifics on what to do to get rid of the message, will be most appreciated.

Al

I am currently going through the same issue here. 

I have Mac OS 11 Big Sur, and previously used Cisco Anyconnect (now it's uninstalled, so I forgot the version). I cannot find any application related to Cisco / Anyconnect in my PC, but still the notification of "Allow system extension" pops up every time I start my PC, which annoys me a lot. 

Thank you for your help in advance!

mont

Hi,

I have the same exacct problem as you report. I had Cisco AnyConnect but unninstalled it. Still, everytime I reboot my mac, I get the message to allow the extension. Do you guys know any solution for it? I also cannot install the latest version as I no longer have a valid contract with Cisco.