cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring WIC-2AM for Remote Management

Mark_Matthias
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have, or know where I can find an example of a configuration for Remote Router Management (Out of Band) using one of the ports on a WIC-2AM?

Thanks,

Mark

5 Replies 5

makchitale
Level 6
Level 6

Use below sample config, only the interface & line numbering will change.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2797/products_configuration_example09186a00800e0dcd.shtml

Thanks, Mak

Thanks for the reply Mak.

This document ....

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a00800e9757.html

...describes what I want to do...

"Remote Router Management and Out-of-Band Access

In this mode, the modem WIC is used as a dial-in modem for remote terminal access to the router's command-line interface (CLI) for configuration, troubleshooting, and monitoring. The modem WIC acts similar to a modem that is connected to the AUX port of a router, but the integrated nature of the modem WIC greatly decreases customer configuration time and deployment and sustaining costs. Typically, the 1-port modem WIC is used for this application. Connection speeds of up to 33.6 kbps are possible."

...but the docment doesn't give me too many clues as to how to succeed in configuring it.

Are there any other examples?

Thanks,

Mark

markfeit
Level 1
Level 1

If you've tried it and are having difficulty...

I had trouble getting WIC-2AMs to pick up incoming calls on 1720s and 1760s running various versions of 12.3 and 12.3T. They would do everything a modem is supposed to except detect rings or pick up incoming calls. (It would dial out without problem and would answer and connect if I sent it an ATA inside a reverse telnet session.) The TAC was able to replicate the problem using my sample configurations but decided that bug CSCee81369 covered it.

What I find interesting is how the router identifies the card. The samples in the documentation say that a "sho int async1" should show it as a "Conexant modem" and that "show modem" should show two modems. What it says instead is "PQUICC Serial in async mode," which is the same as you'd see with a WIC-2A/S. The inventory ("sho inventory") lists it correctly as a two-port modem card.

I'm not really happy about having to field external modems until this gets fixed, but fortunately I have a pile of them gathering dust.

--Mark

kperry
Level 1
Level 1

Mark,

I am in the process of implementing out of band management of our routers using WIC-1AM cards. Probably what you are wanting to do is use the "service exec-callback" feature. This makes your dial in session look like it is connected to the console or aux port. for this you do not need PPP or IP routing.

I have the router portion working but my PC will not answer correctly once it receives the callback from the router at the moment.

Here is the router config for "service exec-callback".

service exec-callback

!

username dialtest nocallback-verify callback-dialstring 1-123-555-1212 password 0 xxxxx

!

chat-script offhook "" "ATH1" OK "ATH" OK

chat-script rtp ABORT ERROR ABORT BUSY "" "AT" OK "ATDT \T" TIMEOUT 45 CONNECT \c

!

line 0/0/0

script modem-off-hook offhook

script callback rtp

login local

modem InOut

transport input all

callback forced-wait 5

stopbits 1

speed 115200

flowcontrol hardware

Hi kperry,

I have followed your sample config, did you ever get it to work properly ? i am having the same issue?

Thanks