Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection not found

anand_vns
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have a remote router behind which FTP server is running.

My side router is connected to the remote side router through MPLS VPN. I can ping my remote router LAN and WAN ports fom my PC. I can als o telnet to my remote router. After telnet to my remote end router I can able to ping my FTP server from the remote router while sitting my PC.

But I am not able to ping my FTP server from my PC directlly without teleneting the remote router.

How can I overcome this problem.

With Regards

Anand

2 Replies 2

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Anand,

try pinging to some other server/PC on the same LAN as your ftp server. if you are able to ping them, you need to check the routes/default gateway of your ftp server. Just check if these points to the router's ethernet interface.

are there any access-lists on the router ? is it blocking something ?

There are a number of possibilities which should be checked which can cause these symptoms.

1) It is possible that you do not have a proper route to the destination of the server. Probably the best test is to get on the router to which you are connected and do an extended ping to the address of the server. In the extended ping specify the source address as the address of the interface on which you are connected. Other questions might be: When you telnet to the router are you telnetting to the address of the interface where the server is connected or to the interface on the connection facing you. What happens if you try to telnet to the router interface on which the server is connected? Also the suggestion of trying to ping other devices on that subnet might be helpful.

2) It is possible that the destination does not have a proper route to you. If you have telnetted to the router to which the server is connected, can you do an extended ping to your PC address. In the extended ping specify the source address as the address on the interface to which the server is connected.

3) It is possible that there is a problem in setting the default gateway on the server. You might have someone check the configuration of the server. Or you can check this possibility by seeing if the server can access (or can respond) to devices on other remote networks.

4) It is possible that there is an access list somewhere on the path that is denying the traffic. You would need to investigate hop by hop to see what access lists are configured.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick