cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Crypto Keys

Jeff Horton
Level 1
Level 1

If I have three crypto keys on my switch, how can I tell which key is used for ssh?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

the key pair used by SSH will usually have a name that equals the router name (plus the domain if your router is configured for this). Do you see a name that equals your router hostname ?

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,

the command:

show crypto key mypubkey rsa

should show you the key generated for SSH.

I did that but there is two general keys and two encryption keys... Names are different on each but neither of which states it is used with SSH...  crud...

Hello,

the key pair used by SSH will usually have a name that equals the router name (plus the domain if your router is configured for this). Do you see a name that equals your router hostname ?

The reason I am asking this is that there was two encryption keys on the system and it worked just fine. Then I created another crypto key with a new size of 2048 (old ones are 1024), disconnected from my ssh session and then reconnected, it never asked me to accept the new key. The new key does have the hostname with the new domain name. It just confuses me to wonder which on it associates with. I have since updated all keys and kept the same labels. I know which one it is using now by doing one at a time but there is no association on the key descriptions that link it to ssh. I don't want to delete any keys as of now because I am just trying to figure out why these keys are here. (just taking over new network).

Thanks for the info Georg.. I think this is as far as I can go with this.. 

Jeff,

unless your switch has some sort of crypto/VPN/Tunnel configuration (which is not very likely on a switch) you will probably be fine with just the one new key you have generated. Either way, the existing keys can't do any harm, I wouldn't delete them either if I wouldn't know what exactly they are being used for...

By default SSH uses the first key generated (usually labeled general purpose). I always create a second key and then have the device use it. I know now exactly what key is being used for SSH.

crypto key generate rsa label SSH-KEY module 2048
ip ssh version 2
ip ssh rsa keypair-name SSH-KEY