Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN Phase 3 issue

adamehill87
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a DMVPN phase 3 setup between a hub router and two spoke routers in a lab enviornment. below is my configration

HUB

adamehill87_4-1710043003691.png

SPOKE1

adamehill87_6-1710043272494.png

SPOKE 2

adamehill87_7-1710043302376.png

tunnels come up on the hub just fine via the above configs as seen below

adamehill87_8-1710043333798.png

at this point that's when things begin to get weird. First wierd thing i notice is whenever a spoke attempts to ping/traceroute its own local tunnel-ip, it behaves like the hub is the next hop to its own local IP. 

adamehill87_9-1710043615686.png

second wierd thing i noticed is that in the tunnel interface config, the command 'ip nhrp shortcut' dosent appear on the tunnel interface unless i remove the 'tunnel mode gre multipoint' syntax

adamehill87_10-1710043835358.png

then finally (and ultimately) when i attempt to do spoke to spoke communications .... redirect attempts get dropped as such

adamehill87_11-1710044967434.png

so my main point is i am able to get DMVPN up but im unable to get the hubs redirect feature or the spokes shortcut feature working in order to do phase 3 DMVPN. 

im currently using iosv verion 15.9(3)M6 .... but i even tried setting this up using a different image (cisco IOS Linux version 15.7(3)M2) and saw the same exact results. Is there something im missing or overlooking? 

@Harold Ritter 

27 Replies 27

yup agreed on the shortcut piece ... which is why at the beginning of this thread i made sure to call that out when i was describing the 'wierd' issues with the shortcut syntax ..... which according to @tvotna that syntax is turned on by default with newer versions of ios and when i do a 'show run all' it indeed shows the shortcut command added to the tunnel interfaces

adamehill87
Level 1
Level 1

also just to reiterate the problem that im trying to solve .... networks behind spoke 1 are unable to talk to networks behind spoke 2 over the DMVPN .... thats the main problem im trying to solve

Can you share the outputs of show ip route and show ip eigrp topology from one of the spoke routers?

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

attached is the routing table, the eigrp topology table, and the neighborship details for one of the spokes

On spoke2 you have enabled EIGRP on interfaces belonging to subnet 10.15.19.0/27 which I expected to see on spoke 1 as a EIGRP internal route (AD 90) and learned from the HUB router via interface Tu0.
The route 10.15.19.0/27 is present on spoke 1 as a EIGRP external route (AD 170) learned from its two neigbours 10.0.13.1 and 10.0.23.2.
I think I don't have the whole picture. Can you share your network topology?

Regards, LG

so the topology in its entirety is pretty large, so i whipped up a diagram that shows only the relevant parts. Hopefully this will give a clearer picture of whats going on. I ultimately want the teal networks from site A to be able to reach the purple networks over in site B using the DMVPN.

I also want to truly thank you for taking time to try to help me figure this out. 

In case of EIGRP named mode split-horizon is disabled in af-interface configuration mode under router eigrp. That is why you don't see spoke routes advertised by the hub over the tunnel interface and spoke-to-spoke tunnels do not form. On the Hub add:

router eigrp ENTERPRISE-A
address-family ipv4 unicast autonomous-system 1
af-interface tunnel 0
no split-horizon

and remove "no ip split-horison eigrp 1" on Hub and Spoke routers.

HTH

THANK YOU!!!! this was it! only thing is i had to add that command under the af-interfaces of the hub and the spokes, not just the hub. but now i'm finally able to route traffic over the DMVPN using phase-3

Can you also provide the routing configuration for your other routers - R1, R2, R15, R16?

Regards, LG

i can still send you configs if you wish as i completely appreicate your willingness to help, but my issue has been resolved with tvotna's suggestion above 

Yes, please do. You made me curious 🤨
Regards, LG

here you go  

harybenzin7272
Level 1
Level 1

Exciting setup! It's great to see your DMVPN phase 3 configuration. Thanks for share and more details ask from VAT Rates for any assistance if needed.