cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Folders/Files Disappear? Only on VPN?

ken.montgomery
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone, have a very strange issue.  When one of our few hundred clients on VPN uses a shared network resource through the VPN... either by mapping a network drive or browsing to \\x.x.x.x (Server IP), they can open the primary share and see the folders and files inside, but as soon as they click on one, all of them disappear from the list and they cannot see them, plus cannot open any of them.

This behavior does not happen on the network nor on any other client... which makes it very weird.  We have scanned the machine, no malware or viruses... nothing we can see being wrong... am looking for suggestions on what might cause this.

Any ideas?

1 Reply 1

bravotom99
Level 1
Level 1

Is this windows XP?  I would see something similar in our environment every now and then.  We found that if we edit the GoOfflineOnSlowLink reg key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\NetCache, that it would stop the files from disappearing.  You set it to either 0 or 1.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811525

If this is windows 7, I think the reg key changed but the premise stays the same.  I don't know what it is in Win7 since we haven't run into the issue since we migrated

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: