cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD SCEP Enrollment Error - Identity Certificate

Steven Case
Level 1
Level 1

Alright, so I'm not an expert on PKIs, but this particular problem is perplexing me to the point of posting. Hoping someone has seen this one.

I have a deployment of FMC managing a few FTDs. Looking to terminate our RA VPN on these devices. Part of this whole thing is getting a certificate on the device, as is typical, and I'm hitting road blocks all over the place on this. Did manual. That was acting so weird I decided to do SCEP. This is also acting weird, but is now my preferred method of enrollment for this deployment.

Set it up with the following configurations (I can't post pictures):

Enrollment Type:            SCEP

Enrollment URL:             http://10.1.1.3/certsrv/mscep/mscep.dll

Challenge Password:      Obtained from the mscep_admin, using the same http:// format as above

Include FQDN:                Use device hostname (tried this without as well, no change)

Include Device IP:            No

CN:                                  vpn1.my.domain

OU, O, L, ST, C, E:            All set

Include Serial Number:     No

Key:                                 RSA:2048

Ignore IPSec Key Usage:  No, because I have the IPSec on the template referenced

Revocation Check:           None

As far as SCEP, I'm using MSCEP on a Server 2019 Sub CA. I have modified the template key in the registry to use my custom template, however it doesn't work when setting back to IPSec Offline either. I have confirmed that the certificate is in the issuance state. I have used this exact same configuration (other than the CN changing) on all of our network appliances for DOT1X EAP TLS authentication identity certificates. So... I know it works.

But it doesn't. Normally I would assume communication is the issue, but after creating a Platform Settings profile (didn't know that was a thing, so at least I learned something on this) the strangest thing is happening: the CA certificate is retrieved, correct, and all the data within is correct. The identity certificate, however, is errored out and states in perfect English (sike): "Fail to configure Identity certificate".

So, that's where I'm at. Communication is established (retrieves the CA certificate) but I do not see the request for the certificate under Failed, Pending (not configured for this, but checked anyway) or Issued Certificates in the CA console.

Any help is sorely needed in this, as I feel my sanity slipping. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi never did SCEP I have expeirnce doing with manual enrollment. so might this help you. I know you asking for SCEP.

PKI-->Cert Enrollment Add Cert Enrollment

cert1.PNG

cert2.PNG

cert3.PNGcert4.PNG

Than go to Devices ---- Certificates  you will see Add (button) on the right top hand side. it will bring up a topup "Add New Certificate"

here you will call your FTD-HQ-Cert (Cert Enrolment) once the cert is uploaded. you will generate the CSR. To generate the CSR you will click on the "ID". once you have the CSR you have to take it to your CA and get it signed. Incase you have root CA and intermediate CA in that case you must have to enroll both of them as mentioned in PKI.

there is a cisco tac video uploaded for the anyconnect with cert here might find you useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZRVAFcSZCA

please do not forget to rate.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi never did SCEP I have expeirnce doing with manual enrollment. so might this help you. I know you asking for SCEP.

PKI-->Cert Enrollment Add Cert Enrollment

cert1.PNG

cert2.PNG

cert3.PNGcert4.PNG

Than go to Devices ---- Certificates  you will see Add (button) on the right top hand side. it will bring up a topup "Add New Certificate"

here you will call your FTD-HQ-Cert (Cert Enrolment) once the cert is uploaded. you will generate the CSR. To generate the CSR you will click on the "ID". once you have the CSR you have to take it to your CA and get it signed. Incase you have root CA and intermediate CA in that case you must have to enroll both of them as mentioned in PKI.

there is a cisco tac video uploaded for the anyconnect with cert here might find you useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZRVAFcSZCA

please do not forget to rate.

Yeah, this was the second of 10 different attempts I tried. It should be noted that only Self-signing has worked on the device, and this is unacceptable.

I get a different error when doing manual. Something to the effect that another certificate exists and reenrolling is necessary. I've legitimately left that thing running for over a week with no luck (even did the manual reenroll several times).

Wonder if it's something with that... Maybe I'll have to console in and see if there is some remnant of an identity cert on the box that is holding things up. That's actually an RMA so I don't think it should, but maybe.  To clarify, the following has been attempted:

SCEP with Microsoft PKI (preferred) : Failed with "fail to configure Identity Certificate", but downloads CA

SCEP with Cisco ISE: Failed with "fail to configure Identity Certificate", doesn't download CA

Manual with Microsoft PKI Enrolled certificate: Failed with some error implying another certificate is pending

Self-signed : Works, but is never going to pass implementation reviews

Appreciate the response, and wish it actually would work for me as this could still be PKI and would be along the same implementation as the ASAs so it's not a big deal.

Added note: I'm done working with this. I was able to add the Wildcard from a third party and am calling it quits on this thing. As this gave me the idea, and seeing a CCIE in Sec never use SCEP, I'll mark as Accepted so others can avoid this trap. Maybe next time.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: