cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to log anyconnect sessions in syslog using FDM

zachlin19381
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know if it is possible to setup my Firepower 1010 using FDM to log events from when my users log on and off the anyconnect client,I can not find a option to setup.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The event viewer in FDM won't show messages related to VPN user logon/logoff. However those actions do generate syslog messages.

You can add a syslog server and then configure FTD to send events to it. They can be of a defined level (Emergency, Alert, Critical etc.) or you can create a customer filter with just the syslog messages you want. You'd then have to use the display in the syslog server to see the information.

That's not very useful but it's what's available natively as of FTD 6.7 when managed only with FDM. If you use FMC or CDO more useful displays are available - especially with CDO. It interacts with the FTD device via API to retrieve the relevant information and display it graphically.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

FDM have limited capabilited, what is the source of authentiation ? you can get data from AD or Radius  ? based on config?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I’m using local...

Then using FDM event viewer.

Hi,

FTD have logs for anyconnect login/logoff. You should be able to view them
using FDM Event viewer or configure remote logging server.

***** please remember to rate useful posts

I can not see any about anyconnect login/logoff in event viewer using FDM...

Could you show me where can i find?  please 

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The event viewer in FDM won't show messages related to VPN user logon/logoff. However those actions do generate syslog messages.

You can add a syslog server and then configure FTD to send events to it. They can be of a defined level (Emergency, Alert, Critical etc.) or you can create a customer filter with just the syslog messages you want. You'd then have to use the display in the syslog server to see the information.

That's not very useful but it's what's available natively as of FTD 6.7 when managed only with FDM. If you use FMC or CDO more useful displays are available - especially with CDO. It interacts with the FTD device via API to retrieve the relevant information and display it graphically.

bcoverstone
Level 1
Level 1

Here is a basic step by step walkthrough on how to log Anyconnect VPN connections with FDM and FTD to a syslog server.

First, find out the syslog level that you want going to your syslog server. For example, I am using "Critical", so I will use that in this example.

1) Go to "Objects" -> "Event List Filters"

2) Click the "+" next to "Add a new Event List Filter"

3) Give the filter a name, such as "syslog-critical-withvpn"

4) Click the "+" next to "Severity and Log Class", choose "Critical", and click "OK"

5) Click "Please select Log Class" and checkmark the desired classes (I checkmarked all of them)

6) In the "Syslog Range / Message ID", enter "109201-109203"

7) Click "Add Another Syslog Range / Message ID" and enter "716001 - 716002"

8 Click "OK" to add the new filter

9) Click "Device: DeviceName" -> "Logging Settings"

10) Under "Syslog Servers", if you haven't added your server yet, click the "+" and add your server

11) Under "Message Filtering for Firepower Threat Defense", click "Custom Logging Filter" and choose "syslog-critical-withvpn"

12) Click "SAVE"

13) Deploy the changes

The secret here is the custom logging filter. The documentation is not clear whether the syslog level combines with the MessageID range, or filters by the MessageID range.

The answer is it COMBINES with the MessageID range, so you can have both!

(The FDM only allows you to pick only one custom filter for the syslog server, so that's why it is important to be able to do this)

And now you now have an easy way to add further Message Id's for syslogging, by simply going to edit the custom filter and adding more sets of Message Id's!

Here is a list of available syslog message ID's to pick from:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/firepower/Syslogs/b_fptd_syslog_guide.html

@bcoverstone nice write up - thanks for sharing your work