Replies

How to setup MPLS with VPN as a Backup

tabish bhat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys !!!

I need a configuration example of MPLS with VPN as a backup

Router cisco 2851

Any reply for this question will be appreciated.

Regards

Tash

3 Replies 3

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tash,

Can you be a bit more specific?

What MPLS service are you talking about?

Do you want to have a possibility to route MPLS over (what I assume is) IPsec VPN or ...?

Do you want to run backup through different ISP, different VRF? Is it PE backup or CE back?

If you're talking about setting up MPLS L3 VPN and having a IPsec VPN backup (CE-CE or backdoor) the two solutions to not interact directly and the major problem here is organizing routing such that backup link is only used when primary link fails.

Marcin

Hi Marcin

Thanks for your prompt reply !!

Actually I am using MPLS (CE)as a primary link ,i want to configure it in such a way if the MPLS (Primary link goes down) MY site2site vpn should automatically takeover to MPLS..

In this regard i need some configuration examples..

Regards

Tabish Bhat

Tash,

If we're talking about Cisco devices than I would suggest to either implement a parralel DMVPN cloud or SVTI-SVTI or SVTI-DVTI setups. It depend on the requirements.

What routing protocol are you running on the PE-CE link? Do you want to implment the backup on CEs or elsewhere in the topology?

A situation where you have OSPF running between PE-CE + EIGRP (with high AD) on DMVPN or SVTI/DVTI could provide what you're looking for without too many problems.

As I said the biggest problem is to suit your requirements and than tweaking some setting (there is no one-solution-fits-all approach here AFAIK)

Marcin