cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

macOS Monterey and WiFi

valerio.luccio
Level 1
Level 1

I recently upgraded my MacBook Intel (not M1) to Monterey and my WiFi stops working randomly and the only solution is to reboot the computer. I suspect that it's one of my Cisco program that causes this (the problem is intermittent and not easy to reproduce). The suspected programs are:

Cisco Jabber, v. 12.8.7

Cisco AnyConnect, 4.9.04

Has anyone else experienced similar problems ?

p.s.: Cisco does not allow individual users to update the software (why ?), only corporate accounts can download the new version and my company has not done so yet.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jaymar
Level 1
Level 1

Experiencing this on 3 different machines.  After removing the three CiscoAnyconnect Socket Filters in Network preferences I get it back.  Of course, they come back after I reboot.  Using version 4.10.04071.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

swdbx
Level 1
Level 1

Yes having the same problem. Lots of users in my org are experiencing it.

Thanks, hopefully they will release an update soon, this is very annoying.

jaymar
Level 1
Level 1

Experiencing this on 3 different machines.  After removing the three CiscoAnyconnect Socket Filters in Network preferences I get it back.  Of course, they come back after I reboot.  Using version 4.10.04071.

I waited a while to reply because the problem was intermittent and sometimes as many as 5 days would go by before the problem appeared. Now it's been running for about 10 days without issues. Deleting the Cisco Socket Filters worked and both the Cisco Anyconnect mobility client and the Cisco Jabber client still work.

When you install Anyconnect you are given the choice of which components to install, unfortunately it's not clear which component installs the socket filters.

Of course, as jaymar pointed out, you will need to delete them again after a reboot.

They come back before reboot;

You actually can remove the Socket Filter by deleting the Cisco Secure Mobility Socket Filter app in /Applications/Cisco/.
If you put it in your trash, it will stop returning.

This workaround works for Cisco users who only use VPN. Umbrella users may experience issues if they remove the socket filter.

baq
Level 1
Level 1

Whilst removing the socket filters is an effective work-around, it is not the solution.

There is clearly a defect in either AnyConnect or MacOS. I'm hopeful there are steps underway to have this amazingly annoying bug squashed sooner rather than later.

I think macOS 12.2 will fix most of the issues. Try the latest 12.2 beta (RC 1)

Indeed you're right, it's a workaround, not a solution.

WILLIAM KLEIN
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same Monterey disconnect issue but I had AMP for Endpoints installed without any AnyConnect components. I removed AMP 24 hrs ago and the issue has not recurred. 

Steve Yang
Level 1
Level 1

Removing Cisco AnyConnect seems to be the only way to permanently solve this problem, I saw 2 crash logs in the MacOS console.