cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP and SNMP traffic over IPsec or Normal link ?

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I would like to ask about for ntp and snmp traffic.

We are running hub spoke VPN . Should we carry ntp and snmp traffic over ipsec tunnel?

Should we carry ntp and snmp trffic as normal traffic ( without encrypt ,not using ipsec tunnel) ?

What is the best practice ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Best practice is to use encrypted traffic as much as possible over public networks. 

And sending traffic over VPN or using encrypted services (such as snmpv3 over snmp v1) is depends on your design and company policy.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

UdupiKrishna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's no straight forward answer to this, because this isn't about best practice, rather your organisation's policies and compliance.

If you feel this traffic shouldn't be inspected by MITM (if the network is compromised), sure you can encrypt them via VPN.

This requirement is mostly depends on how you configured things. if you want to send ntp and snmp out of tunnel, you can use SNMPv3. for NTP use authentication. but if you have required processing power, try to use these traffic inside tunnel. 

Good luck
KB

Hi,

I remember sometime back reading through cisco doc, they recommended to
keep these of IPSec (you already having hub and spoke). For NTP, it is
definitely a best practice to ensure that all your network is synced
through the same NTP source within your organization (and that source
should be synced from outside). Same for SNMP, if you collector is within
your intranet, there is no point of sending it over internet as this
requires exposure of your SNMP server to internet which is another risk for
inbound (especially if you use traps instead of poll mode).

**** please remember to rate useful posts

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All,

Thank. 

I just want to know for security compliance.When i read for doc , i only can find how to secure ntp /snmp (eg, using ACL,V3 snmp..etc) but never mentoon about encrypted traffic or normal traffic. 

So i just want to know what is the best practice for security.

Best practice is to use encrypted traffic as much as possible over public networks. 

And sending traffic over VPN or using encrypted services (such as snmpv3 over snmp v1) is depends on your design and company policy.

Good luck
KB
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: