cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

pppoe discovery not forwarded thru ubr7100 in bridge mode!!!!

damirs
Level 1
Level 1

i have a rather strange problem. current config is ubr7100 in bridge mode with 7401asr as gateway behind it as pppoe termination point. cable network is sorted out and modems come online, bpi is enabled so modems must authenticate and use encryption, dhcp does it's work and hosts get ip addresses. but there is a big problem with pppoe discovery. hosts send pppoed broadcast packets but the are not forwarded thru ubr. network analyzer was connected between ubr7100 and 7401asr but pppoed packet sent from host was not detected but all other ethernet broadcast's were detected like arp and dhcp . some testing was done and when bpi is disabled, thus modems do not authenticate to cmts, pppoed passes thru and pppoe works. any combination of bpi parameters with result that modems use authentication and encryption and pppoe gets broken. disabling bpi is not an option since there are several other isp's on same cable network.

did anyone had simiral problem?

is there a way to authenticate modems without use of encryption? my coleagues and me agree that could solve the problem

thanks in advance for any help

1 Reply 1

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

I guess there is some issue on the configuration part. Otherwise you should not face such a problem. Have a look at the following URL which explains a scenario similar to yours and explains how the configuration needs to be done. Hope this is useful.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/109/pppoe_ubr7200.html