cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remote files

pcfreak49
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question, it is possible to send remote files from your PC to the router via scp

16 Replies 16

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes I just upgraded all my routers in EMEA from my desktop the other day using scp as we have ftp and tftp blocked because there unsecure

xxxxx#copy scp://172.x.x.x/isr4300-universalk9.03.16.03.S.155-3.S3-ext.SPA.bin bootflash:
Address or name of remote host [172.21.7.135]?
Source username [mmalone]?
Source filename [isr4300-universalk9.03.16.03.S.155-3.S3-ext.SPA.bin]?
Destination filename [isr4300-universalk9.03.16.03.S.155-3.S3-ext.SPA.bin]?
Password:
 Sending file modes: C0664 476783328 isr4300-universalk9.03.16.03.S.155-3.S3-ext.SPA.bin
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay and how exactly did because they are two different networks

well you would have to have reachability to the device from your pc before  you can scp to it from your pc , your pc would need to be able to speak to the router by routing and also scp would need to be allowed in , it uses ssh so most devices would already be setup as ssh is used mostly for remote access instead of telnet

routing is layer 3 while scp is application layer 7 so the routing needs to be in place first before scp can work

ssh and scp is configured, you sometimes have an example

? the example is above how to use scp and its going to vary depending on your device it may have flash but not use bootflash etc , you do it from the router and pull the file that you select from your pc

in the case above im pulling the new ios from pc .135 to the 4331 routers bootflash 

copy scp from .135 / image 4300 and send it to bootflash in local router

copy scp://172.x.x.x/isr4300-universalk9.03.16.03.S.155-3.S3-ext.SPA.bin bootflash

The network 172 is that your private network or public ip

that's my local pc , the router can reach it and the scp application is open and running on it , then once you initiate the scp the it will go to the pc and grab the file

copy scp: // your private IP or private IP / isr4300-universalk9.03.16.03.S.155-3.S3-ext.SPA.bin boot flash, because I have done this over the putty in config mode copy scp: // 198.168.0.212/c890-universalk9_npe-mz.151-3.T2.bin but get time out

from the router can you ping 198.168.0.212 , are you sure ssh is open all the way to your pc from the router over that exact path , turn off the firewall on your pc as well windows and any anti virus just while you do it , my mcafee does block me locally on pc

I want from 192.168 0.0 network copy private files cablemodem to another network 10.10.10.0 private network cisco router

You can copy it to storage inside the router flash , bootflash etc inside the router , your trying to copy to the router yes ,  not another pc ? you don't need to know the 10.0.0.0 network your copying from you pc to the router , once there is reachability and ssh is allowed it will work

If its timing out something is blocking it

it is sometimes possible to share as your running-config wait, maybe I'm forgetting something to configure

hI can you post off the router

show ip ssh

sh run | inc ssh

ping 198.168.0.212 

and also exactly what way your doing the scp transfer -----copy scp ......

and make sure the winscp application is open on your pc and file is there to be accessed