Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet and SSH configuration for remote access

francisgamo08
Level 1
Level 1

Hello CISCO masters,

I am a CCNA student and I would like to know the SSH configuration in advance.

I have a CISCO 1841 router with ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

, I'm trying to issue a command crypto key generate rsa general modulos 1024 but it keeps on saying that this command is unrecognized. - Does it mean that this router is not capable for that service?

what should i do to make ssh work on that flatform?

thanks and regards,

Francis

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Francis,

You will need an image that supports SSH (images with k9)

Yes. Starting with Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4(1), SSH is supported in all images with the following exceptions: IP Base without Crypto and Enterprise Base without Crypto.

Use this command: Router(config)#crypto key generate rsa

and you ll find out.

Configure the remote incoming vty terminal lines to accept Telnet and SSH.

Router(config)#line vty 0 4

Router(config-line)#privilege level 15

Router(config-line)#login local

Router(config-line)#transport input telnet ssh

Router(config-line)#exit

CustomerRouter(config)#crypto key generate rsa

How many bits in the modulus [512] 768

CustomerRouter(config)#exit

Verify that SSH is enabled and the version being used.

CustomerRouter#show ip ssh

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

View solution in original post

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Apart from those commands as sandeep stated here... you need to set ip domain-name as well for generating the key. Because you key will get generated based on your hostname... i.e. .

Please do rate if the given information helps.

By

Karthik

Hi Francis,

Those advanced IP Services are compatible with cisco 1841 routers..... current IOS is in specific to broadband which has some limited facilities..... for eg advip ios has much more features of IP SLA but broadband IOS has only IP SLA Responder feature.... Like this way you have many other differences mate.... :-)

You can check the list of features available in that IOS by checking the cisco feature navigator which gives you list of facility available through each IOS....

You can check for which are all features you need for then you can choose the right IOS...

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch?act=rlsSelect&task=search&searchby=platform

in the above link you can click and select the software as IOS and platform as 1841 then press continue.... there you ahve the options to slect IOS code....

for eg in you case 124-15.T15.... you have to select thru major release as 12.4 T and then you can select the exact release as 12.4-15.T15 for getting the exact results...

Hope this helps.

By

Karthik

5 Replies 5

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Francis,

You will need an image that supports SSH (images with k9)

Yes. Starting with Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4(1), SSH is supported in all images with the following exceptions: IP Base without Crypto and Enterprise Base without Crypto.

Use this command: Router(config)#crypto key generate rsa

and you ll find out.

Configure the remote incoming vty terminal lines to accept Telnet and SSH.

Router(config)#line vty 0 4

Router(config-line)#privilege level 15

Router(config-line)#login local

Router(config-line)#transport input telnet ssh

Router(config-line)#exit

CustomerRouter(config)#crypto key generate rsa

How many bits in the modulus [512] 768

CustomerRouter(config)#exit

Verify that SSH is enabled and the version being used.

CustomerRouter#show ip ssh

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Apart from those commands as sandeep stated here... you need to set ip domain-name as well for generating the key. Because you key will get generated based on your hostname... i.e. .

By

Karthik

francisgamo08
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Thanks a lot for both of you, two thumbs up for your answer, another question. which of these two IOS would i use to replace my current IOS?

a.) c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T15.bin ---- the IOS of the router i bought from my friend

b.) c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-16b.bin --------- the IOS of the router i bought from my friend

these are the two IOS i found inside the flash of that router, i just want to confirm if hese are compatible to 1841 (below) and which file should i use?

a.) c1841-broadband-mz.150-1.M3.bin --------- This is the current IOS of my router, what does it do? what are the feature behind this Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-BROADBAND-M), Version 15.0(1)M3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

thanks in advance.

Francis

Hi Francis,

Those advanced IP Services are compatible with cisco 1841 routers..... current IOS is in specific to broadband which has some limited facilities..... for eg advip ios has much more features of IP SLA but broadband IOS has only IP SLA Responder feature.... Like this way you have many other differences mate.... :-)

You can check the list of features available in that IOS by checking the cisco feature navigator which gives you list of facility available through each IOS....

You can check for which are all features you need for then you can choose the right IOS...

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch?act=rlsSelect&task=search&searchby=platform

in the above link you can click and select the software as IOS and platform as 1841 then press continue.... there you ahve the options to slect IOS code....

for eg in you case 124-15.T15.... you have to select thru major release as 12.4 T and then you can select the exact release as 12.4-15.T15 for getting the exact results...

Hope this helps.

By

Karthik

Hi Karthik,

Thank you so much for that awesome information that i got from you, now i am ready to upgrade my IOS so that i could start my remote SSH access as well as site to site VPN configuration.

Regards,

Francis

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: