cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

using PPTP with cisco 2620 router with ipsec

koreantiger
Level 1
Level 1

I have notice that for windows 2000 the vpn client won't be out until next year. So the new plan is to get the pptp up and running but i need help in this field. Does Microsoft have a download on the site for vpn or we just use the dialup network. Do we have to point the server to the router for key exchange. Do i have to load anything on the server.

Please help me on this.

8 Replies 8

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

Are you terminating PPTP at the router or using an MS RAS server? Here’s some info I found http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Support/PSP/psp_view.pl?p=Internetworking:PPTP

going to us MS RAS do you know what port i have to open on the router to allow pptp to the vpn server.

You will have to allow protocol gre(47) and tcp 1723 through the router for pptp traffic.

I have been racking my brain trying to figure something out; maybe you could help.

I don't have any experience with routers, but I have been going all over setting up PCs to connect to our VPN server by ways of the Microsoft VPN adapter. I know that port 1723 needs to be opened for the VPN, I know that port 1433 needs to be opened so they can connect to our SQL server, and I know that protocol 47 (GRE) needs to be enabled.

But I have no idea how to configure the router. I have been trying to find the commands, but no luck. We tried permiting the IP address and ports and the GRE, but still unable to connect.

Could you please help me, or point me in the right direction.

Joe

mmedwid
Level 3
Level 3

What VPN client won't be out til next year? The cvpn IPsec client's been out for some time.

adellino
Level 1
Level 1

Hello !

We are having the same problem to create a VPN with remote users using a 1751 with IOS. Can't we use the IOS to create an ipsec tunnel to the clients and assign them an internal IP?

Thanks

Alex

morriss
Level 1
Level 1

I am using the 3.5 client and it runs fine on 95, 98, NT, 2000, and XP. I have 2000 at home and have been running it for 2 months now.

Scott

How did you configure the W2K Pro at home with the 3.5 VPN client? I'm setting one up with pre-shared key and having difficulty connecting. Can you send me the W2K settings or a document that helped you config it? Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: