Views
Helpful
Replies

Very less Modem success rate

vinaymurthy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a CISCO 3640 router configured as RAS with DM-18 card. There are 2 BRI lines connected to the router.

Remote users are complaining, they are unable to connect to RAS. They are complaining that its error no 619, port disconnected. Every 10 times they try dial-in only 3 times they will hook on.

When we gave sh modem & saw the status the modem success rate is <45% on all 4 ports of the Card.

Can any one throw some light on this

3 Replies 3

Hi,

I went throug the documents. The configuration on the router seems to be OK. We replaced the NM-18DM module with new one. Even this change does not seems to be working.

Does Any one has experienced this kind of problem any time???

Thanking You,

Regards

Vinay

Vinay,

Modem connect rates can be caused by any number of things.. This could include train up problems, poor quality lines at the users end, errors on your BRI's, software version on your router, bad firmware on your modems, etc.

To ensure that your modems are all good, you can actually make one modem call to another modem on your DM card and see what the results are.

The other thing that you can do it look at the modem logs from the router to see what is happening. It could be that the modems aren't connecting for a specific reason, or noise, etc.

It's an easy thing to just blame the digital modems, but the issue could be at the remote ends - what sort of modems are they? What chipsets are the modems using? What init strings are being sent to the modems on the DM card, and what strings are being sent to the users modem on init?

I have experienced this A LOT, and it needs to be troubleshot during the connection phase on each end to see what is happening.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

-colin.